cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation delay - no cable

captainhomer
Joining in

Hi

I was due to have VM Broadband installed yesterday, and while the engineer turned up in the agreed time (and was a very polite guy no faults here!) he found that there was no cable on the outside of the building - I knew this because there's never been a cable service here before but something seemed to inform him there was.

Checked the CATV hole at the front of the property and while the duct is there and plugged, upon pulling the plug there was no cable or pull cable to be seen, so he had to abandon the visit. 

Now in fairness he said he'd get it sorted with his manager, and in the afternoon I had a new appointment of the 28th February come through + a phone call, emails and texts.

Problem here being I'm in the last couple of weeks of my VDSL service and I had planned for this to be live before now. I'm now in a position where I'll either be without internet (not really a choice) or paying a considerable amount more on out of contract rates.

Is there anything that can be done to pull the cable pulling forward please? The dist box is about 60 meters from the house so it really shouldn't be too hard. 

Was quite looking forward to yesterday, and I'm a little concerned about what I have read on this forum since then, and would like some assurance I don't need to wait a whole month for this service.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Hero

Take the 28th February date as a time line guide.

Keep the existing ISP arrangements in place until after the new VM service goes live and it is working satisfactorily.

A couple of months of ISP overlap is easier to deal with than being stranded for an unknown period with no service.

Cheers

An update, in fairness to VM - they have been back in contact regarding pre-install works, I have returned the info they require through their pre-install chat thing. I also chatted to an agent and sent pictures of the front of the property showing the CATV port which is about a meter away from a pit so hopefully no problems with getting the cable in (all of my neighbors are on VM)

Will update as/when - hopefully with some good news on here? If any VM reps are looking and can ensure that the cable pulling is indeed in hand I would appreciate it.

Not sure how much you'd be paying to stay with your current provider but Now TV offer a 30 day rolling contract for FTTC for £21 a month with a £60 set up fee (the set up fee is basically just an extra charge for the rolling contract so they get a guaranteed return)

Appreciate it's not ideal but I ordered my VM on the 10th of November and after 7 delays my new install date is the 3rd of March, you might need to settle in for the long haul, really hope not though!

Well an update already... Cables pulled!

VM can we get this appointment pulled forward please. Preferably Thursday as I'm in anyway having a new boiler (I'd be so lucky for this to happen)

IMG-20230131-WA0001.jpg

Wow, a cast iron cover. Must be quite an old area.

nobody on here [staff] are likely to get to the thread before thursday and even if they do they will huff and puff via pm and not a lot is likely to happen - so VM prove me wrong if you can

you can try the pre install number  0800 052 1734 and hope but with the mickey mouse system that VM have that are unlikely to even know the cable has been pulled so the computer will say the 28th feb or whatever date you have

thats how it [mostly] works with VM - its like dot to dot except no one added the dots

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi captainhomer, thank for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I have looked into this and the cable pull works have not been closed, the works will be closed anytime until the date of installation. 

We would not be able to pull this forward and is likely that you have the earliest date of installation. 

The team would always book the installation on the next available date. ^Chris