Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Installation delay Coronavirus

Hi, 

I have 6 months left of a 12 month contract with VM that began in my previous rented home. Despite communicating 10 days or so in advance of the move we could not get an installation date until 7 days after we moved in. But with the Coronavirus I am working out of office and from Monday my wife's office is shut and they all need to work from home or else loose her job and she only just started 3 weeks ago. To top it off the kids are now with us now schools are shut.

VM said we are OK to have cable. After moving in I saw a virgin broadband box in a bedroom and a cable in the lounge with a box outside which was later confirmed to be theirs. So the installation guy calls to come earlier, great, but on arrival, he passes the construction team painting out lines. As soon as he realised there was vm before in the house he runs to catch the construction team but they had gone. We live at the end of a cul de sac and the last three houses, ours included, have their backs facing the access road and NOT the front where cable enters the houses. So as they see no more vm pits near the 3 houses from the road they assume we have none and so a duct needs to be installed. Later the installation guy and I find the junction box a few 100s of metres away (but the cable end is not in the box, it been cut somewhere so he cannot find it and therefore I need a new cable run done, up to 1 hours work he says) and walking the path right down past the FRONT of the three houses, with ours on the end, we pass a series of VM putz with their metal covers. Anyway he goes away and says they will reschedule the engineers to come back soon, only when I call later, after 30 minutes on call, I am informed that they have to lay a new duct and so it will take 6-8 weeks. Anyway after arguing with two employees the second one seemed convinced that maybe the construction team got it wrong and they would send them out again tomorrow to check their pits on the path and run a new cable in the existing duct that the install guy is convinced runs onto my land and up the outside wall from there.

Do I believe they will come tomorrow? My experience with VM is not good due to engineering and poor customer services. We are thinking of signing up to someone else, do VM, have a right to lock us into a contract without providing broadband even if they do not charge us? If they fail to come through for 2 months we may have just 4 months of contract to pay.

My wife is frantic with worry of losing her job her first in the UK and I have important deadlines coming up and we live far from grandparents.

My online account shows nothing and the vm employer said she will send a text to my mobile confirming tomorrow, which has not come. Last time they promised me by phone without a confirmation text the thing never happened. Can't the installation guy report the mistake and get the construction team back out via vm? We are totally screwed without broadband. 

Thanks, 

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation delay Coronavirus

Danial it might be a better idea to tether from your mobile phone if broadband is a must from Monday. 

You can get good sim deals with unlimited data from three for example

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

all sounds very confused - are you and the tech 100% sure the cable is cut at the cab end - a cable may be cut but did he test the connection - they dont usually do that until the hub is connected - did he connect one

you have cable points in the house so you could order a self install - they will send the hub and you can connect it - that takes me back to my first point about the cut cable

if the internet connects - great - if not then you can book a tech - that may take you back to square one but as a customer as you will then be it might speed up a repull or even a repair to the cable assuming they are correct that its cut near the cab

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, 

He clipped a component on the 50Ohm terminal at the house and tested all the cables in the cab and under the concrete lid covered pit next to it for a signal for about 10-15 minutes, nothing. More than half the cables were not labelled with addresses hence the testing. Either he tested my cable and he got nothing as it is cut somewhere along the route or it was cut somewhere near the cab and removed. I'm betting the former.

I already have my hub from my previous home, but the cable point in the wall of the bedroom, there was no cable at the outside wall, just a patch of cement, so it has been removed. For the loose cable in the lounge he tested that before we went to the cab, no signal that indicated it was connected in the cab. Then he put a 50ohm terminator on it and clipped an electrical component on the end to detect from the cab, see paragraph above for what happened next.

So somewhere between the house and the cab it is cut. 

Im a physicist working in a University Electrical and Electronic Engineering department.

Thanks, 

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

thats all sounds like they tried their best - had not got that from your 1st post so it does sound like a repull - getting sense from CS will be difficult - the pre install team might be able to have a look but it will all take time with no guarantee at the end of it 

all you can do is push - you have an order with them - or more exactly a transfer of address i assume - if its just a repull that might happen reasonably quickly - if they have to dig then they will have to get council permits - thats 6 weeks minimum

VM have a presence here but not sure of reply times at he moment and not sure they can do anything but lets ask

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

They didn't try their best, the construction team turned up and without consulting me decided that I did not have a duct going to my house as from where they looked it terminated 30m up the road. If they had bothered to go around to the actual front of the house they would have seen their covered pits along the path in front of the house and then checked for the cable in the existing duct. It's a transfer of address that I asked for over 2 weeks ago.

The installation guy was convinced that it just a repull, I mean they had virgin in the house before and one of their cables comes from the outside wall, the opposite side of the house from where they wanted to put a new duct. But it seems he cannot tell VM that, only the construction team? So if they get it wrong in principle I have no form of redress? Vm are to be 6-8 weeks without billing me and they have to pay for permits and for the installation of a new duct? Why wouldn't they send them back ASAP to check again?

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I called today, after 40 minutes waiting on hold I got through to the Glasgow call centre, Krishnan was his name I believe. He told me that the engineers were rescheduled to come today, he listened to my story and agreed that it should be done ASAP and it was their fault that they didn't get us hooked up yesterday. He tried to patch me through to the engineering department but the call dropped out, he rang back and then tried again but bizarrely my call ended up on the generic first menu of Virgin Media so after waiting a few minutes I had to hang up. 

It's now 17h30 and the engineers still haven't come. My wifes work expects her to be online constantly on Monday and working.... 

Very very poor. Do I just go with someone else? 

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

That's no good for my wife who needs to have muliple voice calls during the day for her work and share screens. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

So no one came and I called at 18h30, the guy didn't seem to understand any of the information he was giving me after talking to the service engineer support team, and insisted that the engineers could still come as they work until 20h00. He said they would contact me within 48h working hours to tell me when they could complete the installation. Didn't make sense so I asked to speak to the engineers.

To cut a long story short. They seemed to make an erroneous analysis on Friday which meant that they didnt hook me up yesterday. After I called VM and explained all yesterday they requested the engineers to come again today which would have been the team manager to assess what work would need to be done. Only he/she was too busy and so within 48 working hours he/she will come to assess and report what needs to be done and email me that, which should just be a pull through. Hopefully given the urgency it should be done the next day. Meanwhile it seems we would need to ask the neighbours nicely, who we only met this week, if we can access their WiFi connections. We shall be seeking compensation for their catastrophic failure to connect us on time and keep us informed. I have been averaging 40 minutes on hold to talk to vm agents.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear of the install delay. Normally construction has a timescale of between 6-8 weeks however please let us know what the email you'll receive tomorrow says and we can advise further then.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos