cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation date "postponed", no other info given

AntVM
On our wavelength

My installation date was due to be tomorrow, August 12th. A survey was carried out, I was shown where the cable ran across the road leading to my property, and I was told the cable pull to the house would be done before the 12th. I called to find out when it was happening and was told the cable pull would happen last Monday. I called a couple of times on Monday and was told it would definitely happen before 8pm. As the surveyor had said the front wall would need to be drilled through and the front lawn would need a channel dug in it, and the cable would have to pass under my rockery, I was keen to be there when it happened. But no-one turned up. I then received a phone call on Thursday saying the installation had been postponed and that they'd be doing a new survey as a matter of urgency. 

I've heard nothing since, and when I track the order all the dates have disappeared. I do have an account number though, and I do have the original order confirmation that also confirmed the installation date. 

I'm new to Virgin Media. Based on other people's experience, what do you think is likely to happen next? When I phone up there seem to be language problems; the call centre staff don't seem to understand me and give me unreliable information that seems designed to get me off the line as quickly as possible (when I'm not cut off). The messaging service on their app is useless; it asks for information then loops. 

I'm really disappointed. I'd been told VM can be pretty appalling, but the order process went really well, the apps look sleek and the surveyor turned up on time and seemed very knowledgeable. 

I hope the desperate phone calls to my current phone line/ broadband supplier means I won't lose their service tomorrow. And I hope I'm eligible for compensation from VM, given I'm now on a rolling monthly contract from my current supplier that costs a fortune. 

Any thoughts or advice are welcome. Do I just sit back and let nature take its course, or should I be chasing this up? I'd really like the service so if it does finally get installed is it worth the wait?

35 REPLIES 35

Hi AntVM,

Thank you for coming back to us,I am sorry if you feel that you haven't been listened to and been patronised, this isn't the service we wish to provide.

I have double checked and I can advise that your complaint is with the correct team and they will be in touch shortly.

Apologies again for any inconvenience this has caused.

Kind regards

Paul.

AntVM
On our wavelength

Thanks Paul. 

I had a phone call from the complaints team last week saying the complaint your team had raised on my behalf had been dismissed as unjustified. Prior to that phone call no-one had contacted me. 

It was a courtesy call to see if everything was now OK. Clearly it isn't if one part of your organisation raises a complaint on my behalf and another dismisses it without investigating. 

The new installation date I've been given is October 31st, but you still haven't pulled the cable. I was told someone would look into that, as apparently the notes say the cable pull was completed on October 1st. 

Given that the install team is due to turn up in two days time and the cable pull hasn't been done yet, and I haven't been contacted by the installation complaints team (I think they said someone called Craig would be handling it), is it safe to assume it will still be going ahead and that everything will work out fine, after all this time? 

Hi AntVM, 

I can see Tom is in touch with you via private message, he'll be with you when he's back in the office.

Alex_Rm

AntVM
On our wavelength

Don't know whether to laugh hysterically or cry hysterically. 

I was told privately not to worry, the cable pull would happen at the same time as the install. 

My install slot today is between 8 and 1. The installer has already been and said, hang on, there's no cable. I said, yes, not to worry, the cable pull is being done this morning. He looked surprised. Made some phone calls, did what he could without there being a cable to attach to, and said he'd have to come back later today to finish the job off.

I'm left with no clue of whether the cable pull is being done this morning before 1pm, or if it's going to be done at all today. I have no clue when the installer will come back. I'm left sitting here wondering whether I need to be here all day, way beyond the 1pm cutoff I'd had planned. I don't know whether to rearrange my day or just leave the house at 1pm as planned. 

My time is valuable. It's impossible to calculate how much Virgin Media have cost me in terms of my time and effort. Especially if you count in the time I've spent waiting on the phone. 

I don't understand how this organisation manages to get anything done, ever. It seems to be built on promises and lies. 

I bet I don't get the compensation they owe me. Can you imagine how many phone calls and how many hours I might have to spend trying to get this organisation to deliver ANYTHING they've promised?

Btw, the mysterious Craig, who was going to be able to sort everything out because he has way more powers than anyone else I've dealt with to date, has never got in touch. Perhaps he's just another part of the crib sheet and doesn't actually exist.

Anyway.... maybe it will all be finished by 1pm. In the meantime I'll see if I can post some photos of the flying pigs that just went past my window. 

AntVM
On our wavelength

The flying pigs have gone!  It looks as if it all might get done by 2pm.  An hour late is acceptable. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry for any delay and further concern caused, I hope things were sorted in the end though. Please keep us posted when you can?

Tom

AntVM
On our wavelength

Hi Tom

Yes, it looked disorganised from my side, but it all worked so perhaps it wasn't. The installer arrived, did what he could without the cable having been pulled, made some phone calls to explain the situation to his manager and then left, then the cable pullers came and placed it exactly the way we wanted it, then the installer came back and finished the job. So it all works now. Probably due to the installer solving the problems on the day.

My feedback to Virgin would be that lack of communication caused unnecessary worry. It may all look OK from your side, but if I hadn't been posting on here I wouldn't have had a clue what was happening. Even if the first person to contact me, to say the August 12th installation had been postponed, had explained why, what would happen next, and what my rights and options were, I would have taken it in my stride. But I felt very much excluded from the process, there was nothing in writing, and what was said to me on the phone was often misleading. 

So I'm grateful for the help I've had from this forum, but I came here already frustrated. There's something wrong with the system if customers are feeling stressed and exhausted, and can't make decisions due to lack of information. Your call centre doesn't inspire confidence. I expect you have some amazing people working for the organisation but we don't get to see that because the customer-facing side doesn't work. Or at least it didn't in my case. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can fully appreciate that none of this went as smoothly as it should have done. Although it's not the usual experience, the communication between the different teams definitely could have been better - this is something we've already fed back from here before this case came to our attention & we will continue to try and promote better cooperation between the different departments going forwards.

In the meantime I would expect our install-complaints teams to get back in touch with you to discuss how you would like to proceed with this case, and I'm confident they'll do their best when addressing any further concerns you may have. If there's anything further we may be able to assist with from here please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Tom 

AntVM
On our wavelength

Thanks Tom

AntVM
On our wavelength

Thanks Tom. I received a letter a couple of weeks ago saying they knew I had an outstanding issues, and were still looking into it. Today I received another letter saying they'd attempted to contact me and failed, so are giving me £50 bill credit. No mention of the £5 a day compensation, of course. 

It just seems like one *bleep* after another. I can't see that anyone has made a single attempt to contact me. I've had no missed calls, no voicemail messages, no emails and no messages on this forum. There's been nothing in writing in between the two letters I've mentioned above. 

I'm anticipating a huge battle over my compensation, and I just can't tell if it will be due to total incompetence or a willful attempt to not pay out. I suspect it will be a mixture of both, based on my experience of Virgin Media so far. 

I'm assuming there is nothing you can do, as you don't seem to have been able to influence anything in the past. 

But do you have any suggestions on how I can successfully contact someone who would be able to help? Should I write to the Resolutions Team? Otherwise my only option is to go back to waiting in a call queue for over 30 minutes, only to be cut off when someone answers.