Menu
s7u
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Installation date changed without warning!

Hi

I ordered my virgin media package for my new house on 22/11/20(almost one month ago)and selected the installation date of 12/12/20(today) as I got my keys on the 1st. The issue I have is my installation date has now been changed after being told twice on the phone(both 40+ min calls) that the install would happen today. 

I have two dates on my account setup when I login, one for the outside work and one for the engineer visit to set up the router in my home etc. So I called them up on Monday 7/12/20 to check that the outside work would definitely be done before today and I was assured it would be. I called yesterday to ask the same thing and I was told that both external and internal work would happen today so I let it be and here I am, having sat in all day without anyone calling to do any work.
I have just checked my app to see both dates have now changed with one now being 13th of JANUARY!
I honestly think it’s ridiculous to be asked which day suits for install almost 3 weeks in advance for it now to change to another month without warning or any communication.
What’s my options? At this point I’m planning on ringing tomorrow and cancelling it all together as I can no longer live without internet at home as it’s needed for my line of work.

I find it staggering that after calling twice to enquire about the outside work that I ended up with nothing on my planned installation date(today) - seems like im up the creek without a paddle now and back to square one. As a new customer it doesn’t really fill me with any confidence without even using the product. 

I’ve never posted on here but maybe someone can offer some guidance as like I said at this point I will be cancelling all together.

Thanks

Stuart

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation date changed without warning!

What’s my options? At this point I’m planning on ringing tomorrow and cancelling it all together as I can no longer live without internet at home as it’s needed for my line of work.

Option 1: Sit out a month without internet, and hope that VM honour the January date.  Wouldn't be the first time if they didn't, or even came back with an excuse to say it isn't even possible to connect you.  Equally, it may all go ahead smoothly on that date, and you hopefully get a fast, reliable, low latency connection.  BY all means try calling VM, although I'd caution that the New Customer Connection process is so fundamentally and deeply broken that there's zero chance of speaking to anybody who can tell you what is going on.  You could always try, and ask for a manager to call you back.......that'll be a fair test of the quality of service.

Option 2: Treat VM with slightly more respect than they've treated you, by cancelling and taking your business elsewhere.  I'd suggest making you mind up rather than speaking to VM, and then exercise your rights to cancel by post, otherwise some smooth talking retention agent will do their utmost to persuade you that this is a unique and unusual failure, possibly promise compensation that never appears, and all will be sorted soon.

And finally, you DID read customer reviews of VM on Trustpilot and ISPReview before signing up? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

s7u
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a shambles of a company. Ill be cancelling today then. Thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Check your Openreach connection options first - you'd be annoyed if you cancelled VM, and then found that the only Openreach options were slow, or would take even longer to get connected!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Don't forget you get 14 days to cancel after installation is complete. So you could have an open reach connection installed whilst you wait for virgin and if it suits you then cancel virgin. If it sucks cancel it and wait for virgin. You might also want to check out mobile contracts. For example I have a 12gb a month backup data plan for £8 per month. 

0 Kudos
Radient
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I signed up in mid September. They've dug the footpath up outside now three times. Three times ive been told that the final installation of the box and connection cable will be installed and ready. The latest rescheduled date was due to be today. Engineers were even here on Saturday to do a final pre-connection check and they told me in person that everything was ready for today.

Suprise suprise i get a text today confirming that the installation is on hold again (for the fourth time) and they're unable to say why this is the case. I don't even have a date yet, just says 'NaN/NaN/NaN' on my order tracking.

So by my experience you've probably got the worst to come, more waiting, more conflicting stories and meanlingless installation dates...

0 Kudos
s7u
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Complete joke,

I actually rang up after waiting all day Saturday and nothing was done so I called on Sunday morning and cancelled it. They tried to give me Bs that the line was blocked after they had tried but nobody was even here to try so they will tell you anything to keep you. 

Good luck to you, I went with Bt for full fibre yesterday and its being installed just before Christmas. 

0 Kudos
s7u
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also, FYI

BT have a promo on FB for £29.99 for the full fibre which is a great price if anyone else wants to scrap this nonsense 

0 Kudos