Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Installation cancelled - no budget available????

Please find copied below the complaint letter that will be posted on Monday. I am unable to send via the web form as our account access has now been revoked.

Please see the following information in relation to a Virgin Media broadband installation at our property - BL66AL. 
Account number: [MOD EDIT: REMOVED] Area reference: 20.

We would like further investigation into the circumstances detailed below. We feel that the fact that our installation has been cancelled due to not ‘being in budget’ is unfair and unreasonable given that our next door neighbours, in a row of terraced houses, had Virgin media installed in October 2019 and their access point is less than 2 metres away from where ours would need to be.

We currently work from home and would significantly benefit from faster broadband as the work involves processing large files. As an example, a comparison of speed improvements with a colleague who already has Virgin broadband would reduce the time taken to complete a regular task from more than 2 hours to less than 10 minutes.

After several phone calls and considerable time, we committed to a Virgin ultimate oomph package. We received a confirmation email on 21st October 2020 followed by a ‘welcome’ email on 29th October 2020. Since then, we have experienced the following installation / customer service:

Installation
Tuesday 20th October: text message advising pre-site work was required for the installation on 30th October

Thursday 22nd October: pre-installation survey was completed with no issues or concerns raised by the Virgin surveyor-  particularly in light of the fact that our next door neighbours, in a row of terraced houses, already have Virgin broadband at their property with an access point less than 2m from that required at our property.

Thursday 30th October: phone call from Virgin call centre at c. 7pm - the night before the installation - advising that the works would not be proceeding on 31st October. and that the new date would be Saturday 21st November. There was no real explanation, only a revised date of 21st November. This late notice resulted in several late night phone calls to both BT and SKY as current packages had been cancelled in line with the original install date of 31st October 2020. We both work from home and rely on Broadband in order to be able to do our jobs. 

Friday 30th October : text message - reminder that external works were needed at our property prior to the 21 st November installation.

Monday 2nd November: We received an email at 16:44 apologising for the delay to the installation advising that the standard compensation for the number of days delay was £5 per day.

Monday 9th November:  We received a £15 cheque with no letter or explanation - we are still unsure as to what this cheque is for.

Thursday 19th November: With no further communication from Virgin since Monday 9th November, we were still hopeful that the re-arranged installation would proceed as advised on Saturday 21 st November. We checked the Virgin Media app to make sure that our appointment had not been changed - to find that not only had the appointment disappeared / been cancelled and that our account would be closed within the next 90days.

Thursday 19th November: we rang the call centre on the evening of 19th November to find out who had cancelled our installation. We were advised that on Monday 2nd November the engineer team had cancelled the appointment as it could not be completed within budget. We asked for a complaint to be raised - ref C1911202429. No-one was available to speak to us on that evening regarding the complaint and we are still waiting for the promised call back that was booked on Friday 20th November at 7pm.

Specific queries requiring a response
a) How can next door have had  Virgin installed within the engineers  ‘budget’ when the access point required for our property is less than 2m away from theirs?

b) Why were we never advised that our appointment for 21st November had been cancelled? We both work from home and are reliant on broadband and are now having to try to ensure that we organise a new provider that can quickly get broadband up and running at our property without any broadband downtime.

Resolution
1) We would like a full explanation of the additional cost the engineers feel are applicable to our property - that did not apply to the property next door.

2) We would like a new review of the feasibility and costs of getting Virgin installed at our property with a view to getting a new installation date.

3) We would expect compensation to be made available for this appalling customer service, stress  and the inconvenience we have experienced.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation cancelled - no budget available????

i cannot comment or answer any of your questions and i dont think you will get much more from VM - i would like to think i am wrong but wont hold my breath

on the surface whats happened looks odd with your comments about an install next door - do you have a pavement tee - if so then the whole thing does not add up - if you dont have one then thats a start point to problems - maybe the council will not approve the work

but moving sideways and looking at next door has nobody suggested linking into their external box - its not usual on houses but is more common in flats and apartments and will not impact on either connection from the one drop cable 

i am surprised the VM tech did not just do that - in theory they should ask the owner of next door but the comments on here that its simply been done are many

done correctly it would be a wire from their external box run to another box on your property 

i would initially talk to the people next door and see if they would be happy with that - if they are then i think you would have a far greater chance of an install that trying to convince VM on their cost argument

there are other options that would involve next door - they could allow you to use their VM line - an increase in speed and modifications to the wiring to give you access

they could in theory get a a second BB line and give you access 

a great deal depends on your relationship with your neighbour if VM will not play

Tony
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,
I can give you my personal opinion on this having looked at the address and also the notes on the account. This however is my opinion based on limited knowledge of this order and should not be taken as an answer as to why this isn't going ahead. As you have an open complaint you will need to follow through with that process to be given a difinitive answer.

So, looking at your address, which is a beautiful place to live i might add, the street is quite narrow and has no pavement. This means that any work to be done escalates in cost as digging holes in the carriageway is much more expensive that in a footway.
The notes indicate that not only is there no access point for your property there is also a blockage in the duct that runs under the road. To install an access point (tee) and to clear the blockage looks to be two excavations which is expensive. You also need to factor in the fact your street is narrow and therefore this would mean a total road closure and other traffic management which is also very expensive.

On the face of it you are correct in saying it looks simple however my experience tells me it could be more costly that it looks.

I hope this helps you understand a little why this may have come to be? As i say this may not be 100% factual as im not privvy to everything but all the indicators point to this. Once your complaint is picked up i am sure you will recieve a more detailed response.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply - my neighbour has said that this would be an option.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying - I’m hopeful that using our neighbours ‘tee’ or box is also an option.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Is it ok for me to give you a quick call to discuss that option ??

thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

maybe @VM-Jon could comment on something from next door - no idea if the complaint complicates things - closing it [if possible] may help 

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Going from next door is sometimes an option but it really depends on the situation. 
What ever the solution wayleave will be required if the neighbours property is utilised and we would need to speak with them first.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, if you have time to ring, that would be great. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@VM-Jon wrote:

Going from next door is sometimes an option but it really depends on the situation. 
What ever the solution wayleave will be required if the neighbours property is utilised and we would need to speak with them first.

you are joking of course @VM-Jon - techs do it without permission from anybody more times than enough - the user then comes on here for help and usually gets little from VM

the book and what actually happens is miles apart - as for wayleave when did techs ever ask for that

Tony
0 Kudos