Menu
Notbuzzylikely
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Installation - can I just have one coaxial into router then Wi-fi to v6 box

Hi there.  Apologies if this has been asked (numerous times) before.  I have just had my living room decorated and subsequently signing up for VM.

Current set up with BT - telephone line to router.  Then router, via some little BT white plug-in device sends BT TV content to another little BT white plug-in that is connected to the BT TV box.  

However it seems that Virgin installers suggested you have to run a separate co-ax to the broadband router and V6, after splitting the single inbound co-ax.  Is this mandatory as this will not work for me and mean I have to cancel the VM order/creates major cabling issues.  Why can’t they just send the inbound TV content via WI-FI from the router? 
thanks for any feedback

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation - can I just have one coaxial into router then Wi-fi to v6 box

Hi there,

live TV doesn’t come over the internet only the On demand I’m afraid.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yep. It's CABLE TV not internet TV. The TV box receives all the channels all the time in the same format as a box connected to a TV Aerial or Satellite dish. So just as your BT TV box had to be connected to your rooftop aerial to get channels, the Virgin box has to be connected to Virgin's "Aerial" (their coax).

The hub has a radio based internet modem, the TV box has 6 TV Tuners. They both do different jobs, but using the same cable.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If it's not convenient for you then you could always just have Virgin internet installed and use a different package for your TV needs such as Net Flix, Amazon, and so on. In this day and age you don't really need "channels" as such. 

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is no problem. The VM hub replaces the BT hub and the V6 replaces the Youview. The cable can be split close to the hub and V6.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

assuming you want the hub next to the TV, which usually isn't the ideal position for a hub.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I use a 5m HDMI cable without a problem.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

not sure what relevance using a 5M HDMI cable has to any of the dicussion about coax cables.
unless you are suggesting having the v6 box 5M away from the TV so that it can be placed next to the hub. think that's bordering on an insane solution.

the point is the hub should be placed in a location that provides best coverage, and that's usually not going to be where the TV is placed (in in an alternate reality where the V6 box is).

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Notbuzzylikely
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks All for your feedback.  The issue O have is the tv is above the fireplace, the HDMI cables from the TV to the current Bt tv box are buried in the chimney and the living room has just been decorated.  In other words I do not want virgin tv cables running round the skirting boards, under the under the floorboard etc to get to the site next to the chimney stack where the existing one sits.  If the tv signal cannot be pushed wirelessly from the router which is by the front door then I am thinking I need to cancel the virgin tv, and buy freeview box to plug in the tv aerial and HDMI to the tv.  Just connect the freeview box wirelessly to the router.  I don’t have a need for any sky sports or movies etc just happy with the basic channels.  Appreciate if you have any further thoughts.  Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:
not sure what relevance using a 5M HDMI cable has to any of the dicussion about coax cables.
unless you are suggesting having the v6 box 5M away from the TV so that it can be placed next to the hub. think that's bordering on an insane solution.

the point is the hub should be placed in a location that provides best coverage, and that's usually not going to be where the TV is placed (in in an alternate reality where the V6 box is).

I am saying that you don't have to put the TV box adjacent to the TV. As for an insane solution, please explain why.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos