Menu
Nigeldv
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Installation & Customer Service

Hi, i am a new customer and was wondering whether the awful customer service level that i am experiencing in trying to sort out the installation of the service is an indication of the level of service provided once i have the service installed, as if it is i think i might be cancelling before it gets installed!  After mucking up the pre installation (no permit to dig up the pavement) it has taken over 5 hours and a round the world trip of VM call centres and still no straight answer.  And now to cap it all, they have just hung up on me!

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation & Customer Service

Hello

Council permits can take 6-8 weeks  to be granted by the local council, what would normally happen is that the external team will try and pull the cable through the duct (done before the install date), if they then find a blockage then VM have to apply to the  local council for the permit / permission too dig the pavement / road closure if needed.

When was you install date ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nigeldv
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

6 - 8 weeks, they told me up to 5 - 6 days, if going to take that long i will haveto consider my options! My install date was the 23 September, the problem is that there is no where to connect the cable from the street to the house so they need to dig that hole to blow the cable.

0 Kudos
Nigeldv
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, the saga continues, is VM customer services reallyas bad as i am experiencing! My current service provider has refused to extend my services until the revised VM installation dation of 23 Oct and it has taken 2 hours and 4 people to eventually get them to agree to look into how they can provide me with some form of internet for this period of time.  Having informed one person that using the sim card that was provided as part of the package was not an option as i do not have an unlocked phone to use it in they suggested that the only solution was to use the sim card on two further occasions - i am convinced that they do not listen to a word that is said by the Customer!  The only positive is that i now have a direct dial number for a "manager" in the Pre Install Team so i don't have to go through all of the phone options when they fail to call me back by the time promised (negativity is based onthe fact that i am still waiting for a call back promised on Monday).

I can only assume that VM have a target to achieve for how many customers cancel before installation.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nigeldv, 

Thanks for the message and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

We appreciate this has been a very frustrating time and you were looking forward to enjoying your new service. We want nothing more than to provide the service but the problem as you may have been made aware is one of construction.

We do not come across these issues until we action the installation. When you first call, the Sales team check to see if the address is marked as serviceable. This simply means the architecture is in place. In this case it is. Prior to you install a crew come out to what we term pre-pull the external cable. It’s at this point we sometimes come across constructions issues. Services are subject to availability.

In most areas the cabinets, cables, ducting for the cables etc has been in situe for a number of years. Ducting can become blocked or crushed. Access points outside homes called T plates get covered over, if councils resurface pavements etc. So we have to clear whatever presents itself before we can carry out the install.

We aim to get construction issues resolved as soon as we can and this can take up to 6-8 weeks, I can see that we have changed the installation date until the 23rd October. We will aim to get works completed as soon as we can. 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Nigeldv
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Chris, 

The facts are that the install date was provided to me by VM around 23 August so they had a month to get everything in place but they decided to undertake the pre install work 2 days before the install date and therefore leave no time to resolve any issues that arise, which to me is just down to poor planning.  I understand that there are any number of risks that could materialise during the install process so the idea is to schedule the work so that the risks are mitigated and the way to mitigate the risk of the pre install work not being completed on time is either survey the property to understand what needs to be done or to schedule the pre install work as early as possible.  Both feasible options thatwould have helped to ensure the original install date was achieved. 

That said, while i am dissapointed about the install date being delayed it is the way that VM have responded to my questions that is the most concerning as to date it has taken over 12 hours of  phone calls plus additional time on the messaging service during which i have been misinformed on a number of occasions and blatantly lied to by a call centre manager.  This level of customer service is now the subject of a complaint made on 23 September for which i am awaiting a response.

However, i must have made an impression as i have now recieved a call from a Senior Operations Manager and things now appear to moving forwards as they have obtained the permit to dig and arrived on Saturday to  install the T plate and pull the cable through to the edge of the property so now just waiting for the team to come and run the cable across the property to the house before the install work can be done, so should be good for the revised install of 23 October if nothing comes from my "priority" install status.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Investigating 2 days before the planned install date is typical for a lot of utility providers - they are not going to attempt an install a month before in case you cancel before the install date, then they've just spend a load of money for nothing. The closer they are to install date the least likely you are to cancel (plus typically they require 2 - 3 weeks to book your slot with the outside companies) 

0 Kudos