Menu
Jtallented
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Installation Worries

I recently moved into a new house, and organised the virgin install team to turn up on the day of completion. I found out from the previous owner that the install team turned up two weeks before I took ownership of the house and undertook the work without any contact to myself or the previous owner. He just came home one day to find his front garden dug up and a reel of cabling next to his front door. Not a great start.

There seems to be two potential issues to me:

The cabling isn't covered by the front of the house, so water and insects can get into the plastic tubing and potentially cause damage to the cabling. The cabling was also coming up out of the ground about 4 inches away from the wall so I had to rebury it myself to get it closer to the wall. https://i.imgur.com/bfcyjR3.jpg

My neighbours have a cover light the bottom half of this which goes over the green tubing and the brown box. Should I have been given one of these as well? 

Secondly, the cable seems to be covered by a couple of metres of tubing, and then just runs through bare through the garden under about an inch of dirt. Is this right? Surely it shouldn't be this open and exposed: https://imgur.com/Z5WYhXy

I lifted the soil to have a look, and I'm sure that this is just a problem waiting to happen: https://imgur.com/5ICBtO0

Am I being overly worrysome, or am I right in being annoyed that the install went ahead before I even owned the house, with no communication or sign off from anyone at the house, and apparently wasn't done to a great standard? Any thoughts or info would be great!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Worries

You have had a visit from the cable pull team. This is the first stage of the installation & is literaly just the cable pull from the cabinet.

Everything else will be completed by the installer on the arranged date.

Cables should be buried about 6 inches down (the depth of a spade).

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Jtallented
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nodrogd,

The cable pull team undertook the work with no contact to myself or the homeowner at the time, and I stated to the agent when I arranged for the work to be done that it could not be undertaken before I had purchased the house. They assured me that no work would happen until after that date. 

The photos that I have taken were after the installation engineer visited and finished the work. The cables are still exposed and are definitely not buried 6 inches down. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jtallented,

That really doesn't look good at all the cables should be buried to depth that @nodrogd mentions above and especially for a house that doesnt yet belong to you. You can raise a complaint about this using the methods detailed on the following link - virg.in/compscopvirg.in/compscop.

Also as @nodrogd said the team will have done the cable pull to the house but not done any of the installation of the services, that will be completed on your requested day of install.  

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos