Menu
arthurbear
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Installation TV 360 and BB

Hi

First post so hope this is the right place. Apologies in advance if not

I’ve just booked installation for the ultimate Oomph package.  

i have a few questions about install but I’ll try and give some info as current situation first

Currently we have Sky TV and BB with Virgin Buissness. 

we’ve always had BB with Virgin moving to the Buissness arm 3 years ago when I set up on my own  the swap was dead simple basically a box swap and off we went. The cable comes into the wall box in the front room and takes a circuitous route around Victorian door frames to finally arrive behind my desk about 10m of cable later.

on our original install (15 years ago) we then had a tv box run from the splitter behind my desk to the bedroom at some point we ditched the TV and took the cable for that out - leaving (I think) the splitter behind the desk  

At the moment we are having building work done and the TV will soon be in the room on the other side of the wall from the location of my desk - further away again from where the service enters the house!

sorry I know it sounds complicated!

currently we are at the point in the build where if I want to run cables in walls I still can

so my questions

• I’ve read on the virgin site that the TV can be no further than 3m from the box where the service enters the house - is that correct?
  • if so I have a TV in that room and the main box could live there but my main viewing area (with spangly new 4K tv) will be elsewhere and I know the mini boxes do 4K but it seems counterintuitive to not have the main box in the main space. what’s the best version and if it’s have the main box in the main space what does that mean cable wise?
  • My current Broadband Hub is on my desk my plan is to run a cable through the wall to an Ethernet hub in the new space and then split out to various items do I need an Ethernet feed for the new TV box. 

• the install currently isn’t booked til after the bulk of the plastering is completed if I need to run a cable from the office in prep for the new tv box in the new room can I buy one and put it in before the engineer arrives and if so what and where from?

• Finally Virgin Buissness BB doesn’t run out TIL a month after the installation apart from the fact that it’s not a financially sound idea will that course any problems and what would the downtime be between switching one off and getting the new one running 

Any answers gratefully received - financially bringing the installation forward means double spends on the outgoing provision but if that’s the best choice to get things in before the paint is drying I could do that  

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation TV 360 and BB

The standard VM cable is 3m long - not sure if there is technical reason for length restriction - but most VM techs I have had in the past just made the cable up on the spot from a roll and connectors - not sure if they will still do that.

Cant help re. 360+ mini-boxes/ethernet - someone else may know - or post a Q in the 360 forum

re cabling - they will never supply cable ahead of an install - we usually say to install conduit tubing with pull ropes (strong string !) inside so they can pull the cable through that way (usual no sharp turns etc) they will do that.

Not sure about Business connections either

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
arthurbear
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation TV 360 and BB

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately the wall in question isn't stud so I can't run conduit - so seems the choices are have a new cable put in once the buildings done which will not look great and be a right Faff for the engineer (another 3 door frames to navigate or get the install early but not use the kit for 2 months

0 Kudos