Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Installation Process

Hi, 

I have some questions that have really got me quite stressed out mainly because I can’t get a hold of any engineers at virgin because of the pandemic. I want virgin media broadband, tv and phone for my new build and have run conduit from the street to the outside wall (omni box) to run cable for the engineer.

I have virgin media’s underground and above ground RG6 tri-shield cable with me and want to know if they only send a single RG6 underground cable to the outside wall (omni box) from the street for all the services (tv, broadband and landline) bearing in mind I will be installing two V6 boxes in different rooms, does this change anything and mean I will need to run more than a single RG6 from the street.  

Inside the property, my desired omni box location isn’t near where the inside white box they install will be. Do I need to run a above ground RG6 through my walls to the point I want the white box to be installed from the omni box? and do I run two RG6 cables because from the omni box location inside because I’m installing two V6 boxes. I’m really confused with the whole installation process. 

My hub is going to be under the stairs connected to a switch and this is also where I want them to install the white box. My V6 boxes will be in living rooms on the same floor but some distance away. I also want home telephone in the living room but it won’t be near my hub so how does it get connected? 

Someone please try and answer in as much detail as possible because it’s impossible to get a hold of anyone at VM.

FYI, the cable I want to use is  VMs own RG6 underground and above ground cable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation Process

Hello.

I will private message you, as a technician I can help.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is only ever a single cable coming into your house regardless of whether it's HFC or FTTP*, and from the omni box there will be a coaxial cable to the internal termination box (ITB) which can certainly be under the stairs where you should have a dual 13A power socket. From the ITB the cable will be split in three for the hub and V6s and you'll run the cables from there for the V6s. You should predrill the internal walls where you want the coaxial cable runs for the hub and V6s. Note that each V6 will need a connection to the hub, best done by Ethernet cable so get some cat 5e or cat 6. The VM tech will supply and install the coaxial cables and splitter.

As for landline: you will be provided with an RJ11 to BT adapter which plugs into the TEL 1 port of the hub. I don't know how much work the tech will be allowed to do during this crisis period, so I suggest a multi-handset DECT cordless phone system.

* If it's FTTP you'll need a socket on an internal wall near the omni box in order to backpower the RFoG module in the box.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

My property has a rectangle man hole outside, is this where one end of the underground RG6 coax cable goes and the other end to the omni box?

The above ground RG6 coax that goes from the omni box to the internal termination box, I am going to run it through my walls inside until I reach underneath my stairs because I still have the opportunity to do so, the walls are still exposed.

I spoke to someone earlier from the forum and he told me that from the omni box I should run 3 RG6 above ground coax cables through my walls to my desired locations for my hub and the 2 V6 boxes which are all in different locations and they will terminate them there. He said you can either have 3 ITBs or something else along the lines of “in line..” in the locations of the hub and V6 boxes. 

However, you’re saying that I should run one RG6 coax cable from the omni box to the ITB which will use a three way splitter and require me to then run 2 more RG6 coax cable from there to the 2 V6 boxes which are in different locations. The hub will be under the stairs near the ITB, so I don’t need to run anything for that. I’m really confused. Could you please help because I’m getting two completed different responses. 

The property is wired with Cat6A data sockets and I have access points all over, is this okay for connection to the hub. I’m using a switch and placing the VM router in modem mode. 

I don’t think FTTP is available yet in my area but did you mean a socket on the external wall near the omni box? 

How does the multi-handset DECT cordless phone system work? Do I plug the first phone in the hub and rest can run without cables? 

Kind regards, Zekria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To be clear: you don't run cables, the VM tech does but you can help by drilling holes and if needed install some pull ropes.

You can do the cabling either way but it's cleaner if the coaxial and Ethernet cables originate from the hub location, that's how it's done in prewired new-build houses.

Your switch will be connected to your router which will be next to the hub, this is why you want sockets by the ITB.

The DECT base station connects to the hub using the RJ11 to BT adapter and you register a handset with the station. The station and the handset communicate wirelessly. I can't recommend a make but I know that the Panasonic I bought some years ago for a friend hasn't resulted in any complaint.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM can’t send any engineers out at the moment because of the virus. I have VMs very own RG6 coax cables for underground and above-ground/distribution and have a contractor capable of running the cable for me. I will leave VM the cables in the desired locations and wait until engineers are available from VM for termination/testing etc. 

I don’t exactly have time to wait for them to run the cables because god knows how long that will. I’m going to run the cable from the street to the outside wall (omni box) using conduit because I still have a chance to do so and then I will be running the cables from the omni box through the walls inside my house and I can not go around the building because there are no entry points where I want my equipment. The only way is through the walls, no opportunity for drilling opening hole on the other side of the omni box. 

OPTION 1-

So I can run a single RG6 (underground) cable from the street to the omni box and then another 3 separate RG6 (above-ground/distribution) cables from the omni box to the locations where I will have my tv boxes and hub. Will this result in three ITBs? 

OR

-OPTION 2- 

I can instead run a single RG6 (underground) cable from the street to the omni box and from there run a separate single RG6 (above ground) cable from omni box to the hub which will then use a splitter and need me to run 2 RG6 (above-ground/distribution) cables to the 2 TV boxes which are going to be in different rooms? Meaning a single ITB with a three way splitter? 

If I go with option 2 can I run the black VM RG6 (above ground/distribution) cables I have at home to my two V6 boxes through the walls to my two living rooms where the boxes will be placed, will this be accepted by the engineer? 

My hub location has many sockets next to it so this shouldn’t be a issue. I will probably go with DECT phones in that case. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM is doing installations to a single connection point, which is your ITB. If you have predrilled wall holes and pull ropes for the cables I can't see why the tech would have a problem with this.

VM won't like you doing installations. And I don't see how you can run a cable to the omni box because this is only possible if the prepull team has left the cable coiled up at the pavement tee in readiness for the tech to do the installation.

--
0 Kudos