cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Nightmare

tinom
Tuning in

Hi, having read other posts on here and speaking to friends who have had similar issues I don’t think much will get sorted but here goes…..

I initially placed an order for a new Broadband/TV package that seemed really good at the time, had to take out a sim with o2 which I wasn’t keen about but as it was part of the package went ahead with it. The order was placed on 18th Jan 22 and I was given a install date of 12th Feb 22. Got to the Thursday before the 12th Feb and was advised my install date had moved to 5th March!!!!! Tried to get into contact with VM regarding the issue and when I eventually got through to someone was advised there is a blockage in the line down my street somewhere. Thought ok give them the benefit of the doubt and they will sort it. Unfortunately not much has changed since then apart from being given three more install dates, 21st March and 4th April which never happened and one booked for 22nd April however I don’t hold much hope for this one. 

I have heard “stories” that if the issue proves to be too costly as in pavements need to be dug up etc then VM just don’t bother with getting the customer setup and either leave them or cancel their contract. I am hoping this is not true as I would really like to try their service, BUT, as a new customer this has not got off to a smooth start. 

I am hoping this can be resolved quickly as possible as I am now nearly 4 months down the line from when I first placed my order and still have nothing to show for it, can anyone in the community shed some light and it would be really nice if a member of the VM team can contact me.

Surely VM can do better than this, customer support so far has been shocking!!! 

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

‘Virgin Media’s general customer support and communication is absolutely first class’ - said nobody ever!

You have read the other threads about delayed installations, yes? Fancy trying to beat the current record of exactly one year between the first ‘absolutely promised install date’ and it finally being done?

So usual advice, what alternative broadband suppliers do you have?

The best thing about getting through to customer support was that I waited for 35mins before someone answered. The next time I needed to get through I thought I would try a different tactic and went through as a new customer, they answered straight away!!!! Ridiculous. 

I have read quite a few threads on here about delayed installation, just hoping someone from the VM team responds and magically everything will be alright and my new service will be installed 5th time of trying!!! 

Currently using BT but was hoping to try out VM’s fastest broadband service to see how it compares, not that this will likely happen. I should be more optimistic about this really shouldn’t I?? 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Er no.  "Optimistic" is not a word generally associated with new connections to Virgin Media.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tinom,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have been waiting for your install since January, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you, it looks like you have spoken to us, what was advised in regards to when we will be installing the services?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

Thank you for your message, when I spoke to customer service numerous times I was told the same thing about a blockage down my road. On one occasion one of your team actually got a service engineer out the next day who I spoke with, confirmed what I already knew but did say that Virgin have recently changed the contractors they use for the work required and that they are much better than whoever it was they used last. This filled me with some confidence as he also said they would be there the next day to carry out the work and installation would take place on the confirmed day. Unfortunately this never happened and I now have a new install date of 22nd April. 
Can you tell me if this will take place on this date and when or if the “blockage” has been “unblocked”??? If not who can tell me when the work that is required will be carried out? 

many thanks 

Hi Paul, any further updates on this one? 

@tinom I can absolutely promise you that Paul won't have any more information or ability to get sensible answers than my cat does - it is simply the way VM have decided to run the company where all of the installations are outsourced to various companies to do. I guarantee you that VM have absolutely no idea what his happening with your connection.

So as I said last week, you need to plan based on the assumption that VM won't get you connected up this side of the next century - so what alternative suppliers do you have there? Usual advice is simple - sign up with another supplier, if VM manage to pull off a miracle and get you connected up before them, then cancel the alternative. Otherwise, ask yourself this 'you may well want VM because on paper it's faster than the alternatives - but what use is that if you need to wait six months (if lucky) before it actually appears'?

So you sign up with another supplier - don't cancel the VM install, just forget about it and if it does actually go ahead then cancel it within 14 days at no cost. At least you will know that the cables are in place and working if you want to give them another try in a year or so,.

Hi there @tinom, sorry to hear you have not heard back regarding this installation.

I will be happy to check your account to see if any updates have been posted from the install team.

I will send you a PM to confirm your details to check this.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules