Menu
Colinjb84
Joining in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Installation Complaint

I am a new customer, and outraged.

Despite specific instructions being given to the salesman about not interfering with my neighbours Garden (I live in a first floor maisonette, so getting a cable to me needs to be done respectfully to my surroundings) and the Salesman saying it was fine...... Someone visited the property while I was at work and installed the cable directly across their front lawn! It has left a dreadful scar across it. And NO-ONE seems to be considering this as a serious problem.

The unhelpful chap in the call centre considered that the cable was installed, so no issue!? 

Just disgusting, disgraceful behaviour. 

Scar in lawn.jpg

I am posting on here is desperation...... Also, because the engineer didn't turn up yesterday to install as planned and no-one called to inform me of this. I even rang in the morning to confirm that all would be ok despite the weather. The salesman said it was fine..... Afternoon slot. Only for the guy not to turn up. I only confirmed he wasn't coming when I rang the call centre at 5.45 pm. Next slot? 15th March, when I'm at work...... I had only waited a month for installation and has scheduled this weekend especially. I can handle force-majeur, but to waste my time. Dreadful.

I was not informed and even rang out of courtesy to confirm all would be fine. The call centre operative said I was contacted..... No I wasn't. The number they quoted: THE SALESMAN'S!!!!! He left us waiting like muppets knowing the installation wasn't happening despite SAYING IT WAS HAPPENING EARLIER IN THE SAME *********** DAY. And now, like a coward, he will not answer his phone. 

I shall now be without internet access as of this Wednesday. Thanks a ********** bunch.

Virgin media, this is not the way to start a relationship with a new customer. Show some responsibility and put this situation right. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Complaint

This forum is okay for having a rant in front of other customers but is not the best place for a formal complaint. For that you should find the postal address by clicking on contact us link below. I may be wrong, but I would not expect too much from their response, that way you can minimise disappointment.

Your complaints are valid and emphasise the apparent lack of internal communications within the Virgin Media organisation and a lack of anyone with overall responsibility for monitoring and progressing an order or a fault etc. An unfortunate consequence of almost everyone shopping on price perhaps. Fortunately, most of the time, for most peoples, service just works and they do not have to contend with these issues. Hopefully you installation will soon be completed and you will have years of trouble free service.
0 Kudos
yy148660C
Tuning in
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

When VM installed my broadband and tv services, my living room was at the rear of the property, so instead of feeding the cable under the eaves of the roof, going across the attic, then out of the other side, they threw the cable over the roof where it has stayed ever since, open to the elements.

No wonder I get trouble with the internet and my tivo box works when it feels like it

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colinjb84, 

Thanks for joining us on the Community 😄

Sincere apologies for the problems you've experienced, I agree it's really disappointing. I've just looked at your account notes and it looks like colleagues have been in touch to resolve this. Is this the case, or would you like me to continue to investigate?

Apologies again for this, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@yy148660Cwrote:

When VM installed my broadband and tv services, my living room was at the rear of the property, so instead of feeding the cable under the eaves of the roof, going across the attic, then out of the other side, they threw the cable over the roof where it has stayed ever since, open to the elements.

No wonder I get trouble with the internet and my tivo box works when it feels like it

Quite a few installations were done like this, theres a couple of streets down the road from me that were done like that. Basically it was a dodge round WAH regs, back in the day. From memory it was NTL that installed em like that.

Shouldn't actually affect the equipment- theres likely something else up if your service is intermittent.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Colinjb84
Joining in
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hello Heather.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this, there has been progress but I still have concerns, mainly with the circumstances that caused my issues. I don't want anyone else to experience them.

It seems the salesman should have considered that a wayleave agreement would be necessary. That didn't happen. 

The salesman should have notified me that there would be an element of pre-installation to lay the cable near to the property. That didn't happen.

As such, the pre-installation engineer arrived, didn't realise the circumstances and proceeded to damage downstair's lawn.

The pre-installation team have now made efforts to rectify the situation. My neighbour has been placated and the cable re-located to an acceptable location.

My concerns regarding the salesman need to be addressed, despite his incompetence he will still be making some commission here and would still be free to subject other people to a similar miserable time. (The guy operates in the Southern Hampshire area and has a telephone number ending in '426,' just so people can be wary.) 

This was such an avoidable scenario, but due to slapdash behaviour and shoddy sales tactics it has come to pass. There needs to be corrective action.

Note: I am only able to post right now from my PC thanks to a friend who works in the IT industry and one of his 4G dongles. I still have a week to go until installation.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colinjb84

Thank you for taking the time to come back to us and advise of the situation.

Once again I would like to apologise for problems that have happened with the Pre-install works that were carried out.

I'm glad to hear that they have been back out and rectified this for you and I hope all goes well with the installation for you.

As for the sales rep we have taken the details down and fed this back for you as this is not acceptable and not how we want our customers to be treated. And we can only apologise for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any further problems you know where we are and we will be more than happy to help.

Take care

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
Colinjb84
Joining in
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Ok, next issue...... This is never ending.

This is my home. The same home that the pre-installation engineer has visited, and the original salesman visited.

44a The Pastures.jpg

What do you notice, baring in mind it's a top floor maisonette? Need any clues?

Ok: It's tile clad.

This was never indicated as a problem, at any point.

Then the engineer turned up today and said he cannot install. Not only that, but he cannot use the existing hole in the window frame that Sky used to get around the same issue. 

I drilled the hole myself, I am happy to clean it out and widen it myself.... Not that it is needed, I have measured the cables and they are the same diameters. If anything the Virgin cable may be slightly smaller.

So, 2 weeks without connection. Someone who wants your service. All I am getting is reasons to stay away.

I speak to your indian call centre, they just reel off the same issues to me. Your engineer doesn't need to alter anything about the property!!!!! 

For the love of god, stop being so obtuse, help me here!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Colinjb84
Joining in
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

And I have finally been told by your indian call centre that you cannot install into the property. End of story.

You have messed us around for the best part of two months. You are a sham and a total disgrace.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

What reason did the engineer give for not installing?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos