cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install next to gas mains

Jporch316
On our wavelength

Hi all - new poster here sorry if this has been asked before ….

ive had the external line installed from a telegraph pole outside. I have recently had my house rendered with a new silicon based render system. There is one area of the house where there is an insert where the gas pipe enters that does not have the new render on there. My question is will the install engineer be ok to drill through this close to the gas main or do they have some kind of procedure where this is not allowed 

photographs attached  - top one outside bottom one inside 

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I doubt you will get a definitive answer on here. The installer will decide when they see it. Make sure you are there when it happens, if you don't want it drilled through the render. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

..and/or the gas pipe!

Client62
Legend

In our installation the VM cable does not enter the house from the back of the OMNI box, it runs on the outside of the house about 10 meters to enter through the wall of my office so I can have the Hub on my desk.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You weren't concerned, like the OP, with avoiding damage to their expensive new render. If you recall there was a case on here a few months ago when that is exactly what happened. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Jporch316
On our wavelength

I’ll come up with a plan b in case he is not comfortable drilling that close to the gas pipe. Does anyone know if they drill from outside to in or the opposite 

Client62
Legend

Here the engineer drilled from the inside.   

Keep your eye on the process and don't be afraid to speak up if you are not content.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Mine was drilled from the outside, at a place I had marked where it would avoid a radiator and pipes on the inside.

- jpeg1

Jporch316
On our wavelength

Thanks everybody 

so I guess the next logical question is the section I want them to come into is in a cupboard space - are they willing to run the cable along the wall to come out the other side of the cupboard space and then terminate with a box ….

image.jpg

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll need to negotiate this with the installer at the time. Nothing said here will change that. 

- jpeg1