Menu
tentoofifteen
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Install happening soon. Will the engineer be able to provide a long enough cable?

My service is scheduled to be installed on the 28th of January and I'm just a little bit concerned that the engineer won't be able to fulfil my requirements.

I used to be a customer many years ago, and as such, I have an existing wall box in my home. It has a coax cable coming from it that is routed through a wall into a connecting wall. I'd estimate the existing cable is about 5 to 6 meters long. The problem is that I require the hub to be located somewhere else with this install. Specifically small loft space where I have the rest of my non-Wifi networking gear. I'm currently in the process of running CAT cable through my home but the cabling required to have the Hub in the small loft, is not in place yet. So basically, I need the hub to be installed temporarily in one room (where the wall box is). Then when I've run my CAT cables, and moving the hub into the small loft is workable, I'd drill a few holes, and reroute the coaxial cable myself.

I estimate that having the hub in the small loft will require a 10 to 15 meter long coaxial cable.

So I have two questions...

1. Will the engineer be able to install a cable that is at least 10 meters in length and maybe even 15 meters? (With Covid, I'd really prefer to avoid a second engineer visit).

2. Will I be able to reroute the cable myself?

The cable would not be modified or changed in anyway, I'd literally just be pushing it through a hole in the wall, routing it through some trunking, and then through another hole in the ceiling.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Install happening soon. Will the engineer be able to provide a long enough cable?

If it's a manned install the engineer will be able to run the cable where you need it.  Just be sure you are clear exactly what you need and that you are happy before you sign it off.

tentoofifteen
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Install happening soon. Will the engineer be able to provide a long enough cable?

That pretty much answer the question in regards to the length of the cable, thanks, but I'm still wondering about rerouting the cable myself at a later date.

If I could have the Hub installed in one room, with enough coaxial cable to be able to move it myself at a later date, It'd certainly make things easier and less stressful over Christmas.

The engineer installing it in the little loft isn't out of the question but it's something I'd really like to avoid if possible as it'd mean I'd have to do a load of work moving furniture, clearing room in the "big" loft etc before the 28th (in addition to all the usual work/stress that Christmas entails).

So if you or anyone else could please give me an answer to whether it's okay for me to reroute the cable myself?... I'd be grateful.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As long as you don't damage the cable (too tight bends, pinching or squashing it), and don't try to take the connectors off and refit them, then I can't see any issue with you rerouting the cable after the event.

Offer the installer tea and biscuits - that often helps!

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

Offer the installer tea and biscuits - that often helps!

Although with the current Covid tier system, don't be offended if they refuse the offer, as they are meant to keep 2 meters away from you and wear a mask at all times whilst inside a property as they are typically visiting many properties in a day. The last time an engineer visited me they even used plastic boot covers and disposable gloves! 

0 Kudos