Menu
YasMinMia
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Incomplete connection, worth waiting?

Hi we had virgin broadband at our old house, told them before hand we were moving 17 Dec to allow time for set up at New house. Earliest connection possible was 2 weeks wait for 4 Jan. We agreed. Some guys drilled outside, said someone else would connect on the inside.

Nothing since. 2 appointments set and no one turned up. Each communication has been us phoning them, waiting 60-90 mins to then be passed around to various teams to get a date for connection completion, promise that someone will be in touch in 2-3 working days to confirm a date. No one ever calls back though. Some engineer turned up just now for a 'site visit' and he said yep you have the outside connection, need to wait for someone to do internal bit, its easy, no he has no idea when.

So question is if this is normal? Its been nearly a month now, if its going to be atleast another 2 weeks we can go with BT who offer dates. I will make decision today as so far virgin untrustworthy.

Has anyone had any better luck? And whst about compensation? A month without Internet has cost me £35 in data and covid risk to go into work. I have to carry a letter incase the police stop me. Utterly irresponsible of virgin.

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incomplete connection, worth waiting?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

That's what Virgin will compensate for. 

You could always go with BT and whoever installs first gets the business, as until you are connected your 14 day cooling off period doesn't begin. You could even run both and see which you prefer. 

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't say this was normal, but I can say that Virgin Media's new connections process is a source of frequent complaints similar to yours about delays, missed visits and a total failure of communication and organisation.  Some unlucky people have had to wait many months for the company to get it's stuff together, although that's a very small minority.

I'd endorse Z92's suggestion.

When VM works it is fast and mostly reliable. WiFi capabilities of the hubs are weak, and unless you are on the most expensive package VM will charge you for additional kit to fix the poor WiFi.   A tiny bit less reliable than Openreach, perhaps.  But customer service can be very poor, and has been for years. If things go wrong after you're connected, getting them sorted can sometimes be a tedious and unpleasant experience.  To be fair, none of the large ISP's are much good at customer service - they're all fundamentally marketing and sales obsessed, and regard customer support as the most evil of necessities. If you want an ISP with good service, then you're better off looking at the smaller companies who live or die by their customer service, such as Zen Internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
YasMinMia
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Everyone v helpful thank you.

I'm going to ring up bt niw and get them on it. Whoever gets us connected first keeps the business.

Such a waste of resource for everyone at a very bad time.

Also I just read on the compensation think you only get a debit to your account. Ie you have to stay with them to get compensation, farcical.

0 Kudos
YasMinMia
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just an update to say I've just signed up with BT, took 10mins, connection date confirmed 10 days time, a hotspot login for wfh while we wait, and the high likelihood that connection will be sooner. They confirmed that in the unlikely event virgin connect us before we can cancel bt with no financial implications.

Wow

Will see if they deliver but already a million times better than virgin, crazy.

0 Kudos