Menu
nick88
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Inbound home phone porting times

On Saturday, we self-installed Virgin Media using the QuickStart kit, and requested a number port over from Sky when we placed the order. Is there a timeframe when the number will be ported over? As our Sky contract ends soon, we wanted to make sure the number wouldn't be lost as the contract will end soon - incoming calls don't seem to be routed through to the new line yet.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inbound home phone porting times

There is normally a delay as Virgin use their own exchanges. As long as the correct procedure was followed when you signed up with Virgin (ie. You requested the number port directly with Virgin & did not then cancel your Sky services (apart from TV) yourself, the port should happen within a few days.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nick88
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I informed Sky that we were moving and they did say they would put in notice to cancel the phoneline/broadband as well - should I call them to retract this cancellation?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@nick88 wrote:

Thanks. I informed Sky that we were moving and they did say they would put in notice to cancel the phoneline/broadband as well - should I call them to retract this cancellation?

Giving notice to cancel the phone line yourself results in a "pending disconnection" notice being put on the number by your existing provider. This will block any porting request you have made with another provider as it is deemed you are giving the number up. I would contact Sky & get it removed or you will lose your number. Virgin handles the number port & the closure of your landline account as part of the process.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nick88
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Great, thanks. Phoned up, and it looks like Virgin forgot to put the transfer request through, so hopefully it'll go through this time. Also had to phone Sky to extend it on their end too.

0 Kudos