Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I need a VM wall socket

Hello,

I am new to Virgin Media, and I received the installation kit yesterday, for my broadband.
At first I thought it will be easy to setup, but unfortunately it is not, since the cable it is different and it does not match with my wall socket.
In other words, I believe I do not have a VM wall socket and I did not book a technician in the first place. 

I called yesterday the whole day the VM services to get in touch with the Broadband Team, but no luck. I also tried using the chat on the website and still nothing.
On top of that, this morning I received a text message saying that: “Your new Virgin Media is now activated. “
But I cannot use the internet. 

I am in the need for some help here, please. 

Thanks,
Cristina

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need a VM wall socket

Hi Tina01uk,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry you don't have the wall socket.

What I will do is private message you so we can look to get an engineer out to get one installed for you. 

^Martin

Super solver
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean you don't have a co-axial connection to your router or you don't have an ethernet cable?

The co-axial cable comes from the wall socket into your router and is coloured white with a little screw in round connector that goes into the back of your router.  The ethernet cable plugs directly into your computer and the other end plugs into one of the 4 grey connectors above the co-axial cable.

Your post suggests that you don't have an ethernet cable which you can get off ebay or Amazon (if you have an account).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ethernet+cable&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=ethernet+cable&_sacat=0 

A cheapo one will do the job.  If you have a local OneBelow shop you can pick up one there for a pound that will do the job.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

2CFAC103-2A07-46AA-91DE-76E8CFA16714.jpeg

Hi, 

I do have ethernet cable. It is connected to my current router from my previous broadband provider, which it will stop working in a few days. 

I thought the VM will be the same, using the same ethernet cable. But in the instruction book it shows to connect the Isolator cable to the wall socket instead, which got me confused. Since I only have another box with no name on it and I believe was the TV connected there in the past. 

If you are wondering if I did tried to plug the ethernet cable to my new VM router, yes, I did, and nothing. The wifi is solid green and the green bar is flashing. Then I tried to plug in the isolator cable into the second box where the TV was plugged and the same result.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The box below the Openreach outlet is the Virgin coax one. If you have left the hub connected for a couple of hours & it has failed to activate then you will need technical assistance.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have now booked and engineer and hope to solve this problem soon.

Thank you, all! 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello Martin

I have the exact same problem. I tried to call them several times but nobody answered. Can you help me please? 😞 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Cristi1996 

Welcome to the forum, thank you for taking the time to post. 

I have just had a quick peek at your account and I can see that you now have a tech coming out to you, are you able to confirm this for me ? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I have the same issue. I have openreach socket and not a virgin one. The cable that came with router is a fibre type?

I have been on hold for almost 2 hours now... 

How long will it take for an engineer to come?

Cheers,

kropiak

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi kropiak,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you haven't got an internal connection to set up your services.

So I can help I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.