Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have two passwords

Hi guys.  I've been with virgin net and then virgin media for many years. I still have my same account password I created from the very start, the one I use when I call customer services and am asked to press keys that contain specific characters from my password.

Somewhere along the way I ended up creating a second password that gives me access to my virgin media webmail. I would have created that years ago. That password doesn't work when I speak to anyone at VM.

Just wondering if it matters or if it's treated as a separate password just for online access? Or if it's meant to be the same as my main account password?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I have two passwords

Morning Merlin,

Your webmail and account passwords are treated separately. They do not have to be the same and it is probably better that they are different.

Thanks
Harry
VM Field Tech

Send Me a PM!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a Helpful Answer once issue is resolved!

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They should be separate. There is no need for any VM employee to know the password to your email etc.
The "Customer Services" word is only to prove you are who you say you are.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant,  thanks guys.  For years I've been wondering whether I'd made a mistake with creating that second password and thinking that VM hadn't picked up on it,  but obviously it's all as it's meant to be. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Merlin5,

The other two contributors are absolutely correct.  But something is niggling in my mind, so I'd like to have you check it out just for your long-term security and peace of mind.

VM system has a Single Sign On - the username is usually your primary email address, and the password for that gets you into the VM billing system AND accesses the email mailbox for VM webmail, or any email client you set up.

The telephone password is just for proving to CS staff and is not related to YOU accessing the online account or email address.

Because VM is composed of lots of companies that were merged, swept up in the brand, sometimes account information is not configured properly.  It happened occasionally with virgin.net customers.  Can you just check that you can sign in to your VM billing account and see all/any your email addresses ATTACHED to the billing account.  Don't tell me what it is, just that it is what you expect.  It would show on the my profile tab, scroll down to my services (see photos).  Secondary addresses will show on the manage accounts tab.

If not attached, it is considered Orphan, even though you are a customer, and it could be deleted without any warning.  I hope that is not the case, but if there is any doubt, VM staff can usually check and fix it for you.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

I don't mean to nanny you, I just don't like to see anyone left floundering for want of a simple check on things.  Best wishes.

my services.png   new account.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko, 

Many thanks for your advice.  Yep, I can sign into my billing. On my profile tab, there's just my primary email address repeated a few times. It's printed as my username under the Username and password header; it's also printed under the Contact details header; also under the My services header as Virgin Media Mail address email address and also as Alternate email addresses.  On the Manage accounts tab, there's no other email addresses, just the red button that says 'Set up new accounts'.

Does that all sound to you as it should be? I'm guessing it's fine,  it looks as I would expect it to.