Menu
SyedIbrahimAli
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have an old style wall socket

3610C041-8B0C-41DB-A8A4-A8925A56F34A.jpeg

Hi, similar to other users, I have an old style wall socket with a telephone style input rather than a hole for the supplied wire.

It seems I am missing the bigger cable box entirely ! 

I would need an engineer out and have been on the phone for an hour! Can someone please book an engineer for me? It would have been great to first qualify me and see if I had the right wall socket before sending me out a boat load of equipment to install by myself. This way we could have booked an engineer during the actual installation! 

Please take this on board and save countless others the similar headache.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I have an old style wall socket

If you go outside to where the cable comes to the house you should have two cables coming from it into the house. One to the box you have pictured (telephone) and one for broadband \ TV which often goes elsewhere in the property.

Keith d

0 Kudos
SyedIbrahimAli
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, but that is the only box I have in the house. The large box that the installation demands was taken out of the property some time in the last decade or two by the Sky engineer. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the sky engineer shouldn't of touched VM cabling. you'll need to book a manned install to get it replaced
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@SyedIbrahimAli wrote:

Please take this on board and save countless others the similar headache.

That would require VM staff to be psychic and know when Sky or anyone else had tampered with the VM cable boxes in a property.  All VM can do remotely is check their database and see if VM services were supplied to a property in the past.  In the majority of cases this is sufficient to supply a quickstart self install kit.

If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SyedIbrahimAli
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

After being on hold for 2 hours and 4 minutes, I have an engineer booked in 5 days time. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes to get connected to an engineer and 30 minutes for the operator to actually place a booking. 

Since I called from my Sky landline, this has cost me £14.64. 

☹️

Not a great start!

0 Kudos
SyedIbrahimAli
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I very much doubt it requires psychic powers. 

I think you failed to understand what I said. VM operators should qualify the new customer as best as is possible, prior to sending out a “Quick Start” package.

If that fails to make sense then let me break it down: 

VM operators should ask questions such as “Is there a VM wall socket in your house? And does it look like xyz?” 

If the answer is no, then an engineer could be booked during the installation, saving someone like myself from having to spend more than 2 hours on the phone while being charged for the actual call. It’s not even about the money. It’s the double frustration of having to go through this, and then to be told that the sacred VM operators are not psychic. 

Alas, humanity is at loss.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

i have a better idea.
How about people stop removing cables theya re now allowed to. its criminal damage after all.
SyedIbrahimAli
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Good luck telling people what to do with their own houses mate. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

and this is why you have this problem. not VM fault at all.
0 Kudos