cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get Virgin Media yet..

colinreid
On our wavelength

Hey all.

As the title states I cannot get VM yet and I was wondering if anyone knows when this would get installed in my area which Is ML2 7PD? Which is a shame because I can only receive 60mbps from BT at the minute and not sure when there fibre100 would roll out either..

If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Kind regards

Colin-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The whole area is currently cabled. There are several reasons you might be excluded.

1) Private Roads. VM do not install on roads not adopted by the local authority. Installing in these roads is a wayleave nightmare as every resident must agree to the infrastructure being installed, even if they do not want the service.

2) Block paved roads or roads with no pavement. Infrastructure costs to install on these increases ten fold compared to normal streets.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The whole area is currently cabled. There are several reasons you might be excluded.

1) Private Roads. VM do not install on roads not adopted by the local authority. Installing in these roads is a wayleave nightmare as every resident must agree to the infrastructure being installed, even if they do not want the service.

2) Block paved roads or roads with no pavement. Infrastructure costs to install on these increases ten fold compared to normal streets.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

colinreid
On our wavelength

Damn that sucks and thanks for explaining this. So because of these problems even though Im with BT would they might not be able to provide me with 100fibre because of these type of cables etc also?

Colin

Z92
Trouble shooter

That depends on how the services are at the moment, if BT already has ducting for telephone cables then they could use the same ducting, but if it's all overhead cabling, then it could become difficult.

A case in point is several properties requesting upgraded infrastructure and BT said they would be happy to do it if the residents paid the installation, then handed them a quote for nearly £100,000...or £58 each if they were happy with "upto 60mbps".

colinreid
On our wavelength

Ah I see. Thanks for your help today!

Kind regards

Colin

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not use BT ducting for HFC (coaxial) type networking as is installed in the area. It is too smaller diameter to accept the coax cabling. VM would have to install separate FTTP infrastructure for just that road, which would again be dependent on around two thirds to three quarters of the households signing up to make it viable.

Z92
Trouble shooter

I didn't mean VM, I meant that if BT already have ducting in the road then they (BT) could reuse or possibly enhance that ducting to support faster speeds, but if the current cabling is overhead then it becomes more difficult.

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, colinreid,

Nodgrod is correct. Unfortunately, some properties may not be able to be connected due to factors like infrastructure, whereas other streets are only a short distance away from an existing network, so it’s easier and cheaper to connect them.

Thanks,

Corey C