Menu
Foxjk013
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I blame the wife

OK, so my me and the wife just moved house and got virgin set up where she wanted it in the house, 3 days ago. Now she wants to rearrange the whole front room about and move the TV to the otherside of the room and worked out I need a 6m cable for that to stretch it over any way of this happening or should I just tell her its impossible? Thank you in advanced

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: I blame the wife

You're not supposed to touch it and has to be done by a Virgin engineer.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ITS IMPOSSIBLE unless you can keep the hub and V6 where it is and run HDMI and Ethernet to the TV.

Or if VM are not to busy £99 to get that cable.
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Johninboro
Dialled in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Telling her its not possible all, depends on how comfortable your sofa is to sleep on.

2 F connectors and a f to f connector along with the cable is all you need.  Or you could as a good hardware store to crimp on the F connectors for you and just buy the connector.

Don't forget to mansplain everything to the wife regarding the volume of work by working out the ratio and physics needed to do the job.  Let her know she's lucky as Virgin would have charged around £25k to do the job 😉

Who knows, you're either in for a night of passion, or a night on the sofa.

Feel free to click on the thumbs up thingy and kudos thing. It really helps me to feel important and boosts my ego.
Seriously though, I'm happy to help.
0 Kudos
Foxjk013
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

£99 seems a stretch just for a wire, but I see what I cam find out from them might be able to have a smart way around it, the hdmi wire idea is a great idea tho I will look into it

0 Kudos
Foxjk013
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think a night on the sofa will do just fine lol

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just think if you get the wrong cable you can have a knock on effect to others in your area.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have a work collegue who recently upgraded from M500 to 1GB and the young lad was very excited. He is sharing house with 2 other siblings that use a lot of bandwidth between them. 

Only a few weeks ago he was telling me to solve the poor Wi-Fi he relocated the hub4 from downstairs to upstair bedroom using 10m of coax cable from Amazon.

I tried to explain to him Virgin cables are better quality but that fell on deaf ears and he replied how can it be bad since he got close to 1GB on speed test. He does have latest S20 ultra so not sure if that is even possibe with hub4 Wi-Fi.

I think the average customer is not aware of the cable difference and will go ahead with cables from Ebay/Amazon until they have issues.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi tell the misses her indecision will cost £99, there are good reasons why installing coxial cables are not a DIY job first they are of a very high quality and not on sale to the general public, and altering the length affects the signal levels so requires an engineer to adjust the levels between your box and the street cabinet.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You can check the signal levels yourself however and make sure they don't go too low. If its in the positive now adding 6 meters of cabling isn't likely to affect it.