Menu
Zoe5
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I Don't Know... Help! My Socket Is Super Old.

Hiya, 

I'm a new customer and got my hub 4 GIG1 broadband on the 25th January and tried to install correctly following all instructions... to no avail the hub keeps going red. So after numerous attempts to get a human to help me book an engineer I keep getting fobbed off so I emailed the CEO and still nothing, all I ask for is an engineer as it could be my socket or cables as my socket is really old was here before I moved in (11yrs ago). I was put on priority list given false promises and now stuck with my current broadband ending on the 31st Jan and having no virgin media too. 

I Really don't know what to do... 😞 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: I Don't Know... Help! My Socket Is Super Old.

old should not be a problem if its all connected so check if all looks ok

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - see if everything looks good

also is there only one internal box/cable - if there is more than one try any others - check all connections are tight

and on the outside see if cable from ground goes into external box

post any photos that may help

post back - staff should get a tech booked if non of the above helps

Tony
0 Kudos
Zoe5
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

hiya 

thanks for your reply the box outside is kind of squarish but with a rounded top it's painted over by housing who do paint on some of their properties so I'm unsure what color the box is also I see that the wiring does go through the wall but I'm unsure about wiring stuff. my inside box I was told by the person who helped me sign up that it ' looks like a virgin media box ' picture attached, yet when I done the quick start installation I done everything correctly to no avail customer services and Ceo team have not helped me at all.

IMG_20210116_181009661~2.jpg

0 Kudos
Zoe5
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

took the pics from outside and I'm actually quite shocked all wires are loose and have a look... 

IMG_20210127_153257966~2.jpg

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

difficult to see image as its very dark but the connector at the top looks useful - i assume you have tried connecting the cable to that and then the other end of the cable to the hub

a lighter picture would help - does the front come off if so a picture of whats inside would be useful

picture of outside box looks ok - the twin cable coming from the ground is from the cabinet - there are 2 other cables - they should go inside so it looks as though there may be 2 boxes or cables inside - follow each of those and see if you can find a second box inside - it may be that one has been disconnected

Tony
0 Kudos
Zoe5
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

okay give me some time I'll have to remove my tv unit and I'll post a picture.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

see my post above - have added to it

Tony
0 Kudos
Zoe5
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I opened my dark one 

IMG_20210127_154247535~2.jpg

 theres a socket in my bedroom too I'll take pictures of that aswell as I did try both sockets none worked.

0 Kudos
Zoe5
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

bedroom socket

IMG_20210127_154703952~2.jpg

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

that looks like VM - thats an isolator and the cable should screw or push on to that - if the second one does not work then you need a tech to find out whats wrong - if its 11 years or more since there was an account there it could be that the connection has been removed in the cabinet

will flag the thread and hopefully get VM to book a tech - keep your eye on the thread as they will want some info - just wait for them to get here dont post any personal details

Tony
0 Kudos