cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 Thermal Throttle errors

MeNameIsDan
Tuning in

After several weeks of unstable connection (see https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Connection-issues-with-Hub5/td-p/4944270/...) I've had 24 hours of uninterrupted broadband service. This was ended by the following in the log:

Time Priority Description

02-03-2022 13:08:12criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 106C, transition to state 'Normal'
02-03-2022 13:08:06criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 108C, transition to state 'Elevated 1'
02-03-2022 13:08:00criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 107C, transition to state 'Elevated 2'
02-03-2022 13:07:54criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 106C, transition to state 'Elevated 3'
02-03-2022 13:07:39warningEM-RSP received, Reject Permanent;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
02-03-2022 13:07:38criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 107C, transition to state 'Elevated 4'
02-03-2022 13:07:32criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 107C, transition to state 'Elevated 3'
02-03-2022 13:07:26criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 108C, transition to state 'Elevated 2'
02-03-2022 13:07:20criticalTHERMAL THROTTLE: Temperature 109C, transition to state 'Elevated 1'

The hub is standing upright, nowhere near any other equipment. It never feels more than warm to the touch, so I don't understand how it's reporting such high temperatures. There's never any fan noise either - is the hub fanless or is there maybe a problem that the fans aren't kicking in? 

Thanks,

Dan.

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @MeNameIsDan,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I would like to get this looked into further by sending a technician out to you, to investigate this further and get to the bottom of these issues.

The appointment can be arranged from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to us @MeNameIsDan.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign in to My Virgin Media and you’ll see your appointments on your account dashboard.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

You're very welcome @MeNameIsDan and please let us know how the visit goes, if you get a chance.

Thanks

Steven

The engineer came on Friday. Made some adjustments in the street corner box and added an attenuator on our hub, which has corrected the upstream stats. We've had no issues since then. 

He couldn't advise on why the hub kept reporting it thermal throttle errors. Confirmed there aren't any fans in it (which is why I'm never hearing and fan noise!), but also that the hub 5s are very new and he hadn't seen many of them - and didn't have a spare. Agreed we'd keep an eye on it and raise a new ticket if we get further issues.

All in all I'm happy with this - the box is working and seems to be back to reliability.

Dan.

Thank you for the update @MeNameIsDan.

I am glad to hear service has improved since the visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs