Menu
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 constantly reboots after self install

Hi, i recently upgraded to the gig1 service with the hub4 self instal. Previously I was on the 200mb service for several years without any problems.

Since upgrading the hub frequently reboots every hour approximately during the day.

The coax connection is done up nice and tight, sometimes after a reboot there is no Internet. Looking at the admin status there is the following error when the Internet does not reconnect following a reboot:

Gateway ipv4 address is not valid.

When this occurs the ipv4 address is given as 0.0.0.0.

Rebooting clears it but the frequent reboots continue although not always resulting in the ipv4 error.

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 constantly reboots after self install

The frequency of reboots is definitely increasing. Maybe just once or twice on Saturday when I installed it. Much more frequent yesterday with the ip errors. Thus morning it won't last 30mins.

Problems with the WiFi also.

Impossible to get through on the phone yesterday.  I'm working from home so this upgrade has been a disaster.

Can I plug the old hub back in?

0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Its now stuck in an almost constant reboot cycle with a brief chance to try and log into the hub admin settings on 192.168.0.1 before it reboots again.

I notice sometimes it has the virgin media banner but other times a generic set of images and refers to it being a "connect box" after asking me to choose a language.

0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hub now completely out. If it helps possibly this is the issue:

Info

Hub 4 device information

The information below shows current status of this Hub 4.

Standard specification compliant

: DOCSIS 3.1

Hardware version

: 8

Software version

: 01.02.048.09.EURO.PC20(Open Source Information)

Cable MAC address

: **:**:**:**:**:**

Cable modem serial number

: A8AP00192609

System up time

: 0 days 0h:2m:4s

Network access

: Allowed

WAN IP settings

Your current Hub 4 internet settings are displayed below

MAC address

: **:**:**:**:**:**

IPv4 address

: 0.0.0.0

Default gateway

:

IPv4 lease time

: 0 days 0h:0m:0s

IPv4 lease expire

: 22/09/2020 06:50:16

IPv4 DNS servers

:

Can I plug the old hub back in? My cordless phones battery died I was waiting in the phone queue so long. 

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Toiletduck2020, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry for the issues you're having and for the delay in getting back in touch, we have been busier than usual. 

I've had a look into this and can see our second line faults team are monitoring things for you over a 48 hour period. 

Should they need to know more they'll contact you directly. 

Please let us know how you get on

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have spoken to the 2nd line support and asked for the results of this 48 hour monitoring. Im afraid that they didnt seem to know what I was talking about, they just told me that there is a general fault in the area resulting in intermittent connections with a fix date of the 28th of October. They will not look into my particular issue in any more detail before the general fault is fixed.

The connection goes down all the time, I turn it off and on several times a day to get back online. Every day since it was installed the hub has gone offline at some point over night and there is no connection in the morning.

We had 200mb on the Superhub for many years before this upgrade and it was a very reliable broadband service when using Ethernet connections (apart from the terrible wifi on the super hub - I was hoping hub4 would improve that). It appears to me to be some complete coincidence that this general area fault occurred on the very moment that the Hub 4 was plugged in? As far as I can see the only thing that has changed is the hub, we have never in all of our years with Virgin been subject to such frequent outages and Im sorry but it is really quite hard to believe that the general area fault is what is causing this problem. This experience so far has in no way has been an upgrade to my previous 200mb service.

I just cannot believe that I have paid money to upgrade to your top tier service and I am expected to live with an intermittent connection for over a month before anyone will look into my specific issue in more detail? I have managed to get one engineer to visit who literally stood in my living room and shrugged his shoulders saying "To be honest mate Ive never seen a hub 4 before". He then went outside to "check the connections", it was when he clicked shut the front door and I saw his van drive away that I realised he wasnt coming back. 

Forget about the gig1 internet I just need a reliable connection again. Im working from home and one month to wait for a fix is just not acceptable. Its not about speed now, if I dont have reliable internet I cannot work and I will have no choice but to leave.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

In addition to the intermittent connection we are now having the following problems with the hub itself:

The wifi network goes down although it is visible no devices can connect to it. During this time the internet on ethernet connections still works ok but the router admin page on 192.168.0.1 does not load up, the hub also makes a loud humming noise (fan) which I haven't heard before.

A switch it off an on again is required to fix it.

When will technical support either consider that my hub 4 is faulty or they have been released with significant bugs that gig1 users are testing?

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Please can someone assist me in rejected this upgrade.

I dont want gig1 anymore, I cant work like this being dumped out of teams calls all day waiting 10 mins each time to go through the reboot cycle. I just want a reliable internet connection again.

I cant believe Im paying £64 per month for this thinking it would be a better service for working from home.

I want out, the upgrade to gig1 was one of the biggest mistakes Ive made, clearly it is being pushed out without proper testing of the service. The thought of dialing 150 again and going through the cycle of have you tried a factory reset fill me with dread. I cant waste half my day on the phone trying to fix this.

roll on BT FTTP to remove this monopoly.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you are within your 14 days cooling off period you can reject the upgrade by contacting customer services. 

Else you are pretty much stuck with the upgrade I'm afraid. 

As there is an area issue this may be causing your hub to lose connection and reboot. You need to wait until the area issue is fixed and this may fix your problem too. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Is it any more stable in modem mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos