cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub - uninterruptable power supply

crimsom
Dialled in

Have just rejoined Virgin Media ISP and their Hub has now been installed. Then the news media reports BT set to make huge landline change – millions of elderly and vulnerable households warned | UK | Ne.... The news media is also full of (doom and gloom) power cuts as all Energy Supplies are going to be disrupted. 

I am using a laptop, but now wondering what happens during an electrical mains power cut. Does Virgin Media supply or recommend a suitable uninterruptable power supply PSU so that the emergency services can be contacted ? 

2 REPLIES 2

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should have been asked when you joined whether you needed a Battery Backup Unit to allow you make calls to the emergency services through the landline as you didn't have a mobile or other way of doing so. You can always request one at any stage if you do need one.

This device is a unit that connects to the phone port on the back of the Hub and allows a wired handset to connect to 999 using the mobile radio network when the Hub loses power for whatever reason.

It's not designed to maintain your Virgin Fibre broadband connection and won't power the Hub to provide the landline.

Even if you got a UPS, unless it's just your address that loses power, it's likely that the local Virgin network kit also goes offline, so the Hub won't have anything to talk to.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @crimsom 

Welcome back to the forums & thank you for taking the time to post. 

The new landlines are provided via the hub & in a power cut situation you wouldn't be able to make outgoing calls. Having said that as eluded to by BenMcr, We do have an option EBUL (emergency back up line) this could be used to make calls to emergency services only. 

Where you offered this option when taking out services? If not this is defiantly something we are able to assist you with? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M