cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Cable Extension

Kets
Joining in

I am looking to extend the wire that plugs into my HUB 3 superfast broadband router. I have had a look online and it says its a RG6 coax lead but this does not seem right to me as the wire that goes into mine is thinner. Only need a couple of extra meters extension.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Not all cable is the same, and RG6 has no consistent specification.  The term is now used as an impressive sounding catchall for 75 ohm coax but says nothing about the all important shielding characteristics.  Buying an unsuitable RG6 cable can result in interference on your own connection and possibly your neighbours as well, due to inadequate shielding, because cable internet uses a much wider frequency range than TV or satellite, and is therefore more susceptible to noise ingress.  And if it's a notable change in length, there's a modest risk that the power levels will be out due to increased attenuation.  Third party cable supplier claims of "Virgin Media compatible" should be regarded as meaningless - many use cheap cable because they themselves believe that all coax is the same.

Do yourself a favour, book a flat rate £25 non-fault call out charge, and the VM technician will replace the cable, move the hub wherever you want, and check the power levels and performance remain OK. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Not all cable is the same, and RG6 has no consistent specification.  The term is now used as an impressive sounding catchall for 75 ohm coax but says nothing about the all important shielding characteristics.  Buying an unsuitable RG6 cable can result in interference on your own connection and possibly your neighbours as well, due to inadequate shielding, because cable internet uses a much wider frequency range than TV or satellite, and is therefore more susceptible to noise ingress.  And if it's a notable change in length, there's a modest risk that the power levels will be out due to increased attenuation.  Third party cable supplier claims of "Virgin Media compatible" should be regarded as meaningless - many use cheap cable because they themselves believe that all coax is the same.

Do yourself a favour, book a flat rate £25 non-fault call out charge, and the VM technician will replace the cable, move the hub wherever you want, and check the power levels and performance remain OK. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Kets,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community!

We can process a cable extension for you for the £25 call out charge.

Let us know if you still require this and we'll process it for you.

Thanks,

Kain