cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 to Hub 5X

SunnyLondon
Tuning in

Have upgraded from M350 to 1Gig, VM have sent out a self-setup Hub 5X to replace my Hub 5. 
I believe this new hub uses a different wire (fibre to fibre), whereas the white box on my wall only has the old co-ax port which goes into the back of my hub 5. 
Does the Hub 5X come with an adaptor or do I need an engineer visit?

Only had VM installed 6 months ago and they had to drill up the path at the front of the house so don’t really want to go through anything like that again. 

6 REPLIES 6

Cardiffman282
Super solver

That's pretty bizarre even by VM's standards. The existing hub 5 would be fine for Gig1. As you say 5x is for new FTTP (XGS-PON) areas only. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Unless the advisor got it wrong and it’s another hub 5 they’ve sent out - it’s arriving today so will know shortly. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As stated, the 5X is completely different, so hopefully it will be the Hub 5, and that's just an easy swap out. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A hub 5 turned up so that was lucky (the advisor got it wrong). Will send the old hub back. New 1Gig internet now active. 

Enjoy 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

It's really nice to see a happy story here for a change! 😄