cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 needs multiple daily reboots?

kanhji6
Joining in

We had a hub 3 and upgraded recently from the second highest to the highest internet package, Virigin said we couldn't use our old hub for it any more and sent us a hub 5. The hub 5 overall should be an improvement but with it our internet speeds slowly drop from what is expected with our package to about 1 mbps which renders the internet with all intent and purposes useless. If we reboot the hub, the internet speed goes back up to where it should be then the process of it slowing down to a drip starts over again. The hub isn't over heating, and it's wired direct. We never had an issue anything like this before with Virgin's service. This has been going on a month, and it's been rather detrimental to us as we sometimes work from home.

We tried calling Virgin for customer support, either to send out an engineer or perhaps try sending us a new hub since this one may be faulty, but they just say there must be an outage in our area starting from some arbitrary time before our phone call and refuse to do anything beyond that point. Our internet is not out just uselessly slow, and our neighbours whom also have Virgin still have perfectly working service. Virgin customer service won't lift a finger.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem? Is there anything we can do aside from cancel our contract?

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

However if there is an issue in the area, VM will not send a technician until this is resolved.  This is VM's standard practice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey kanhji6, thanks for taking the time to join our help forums and for your first post.

We're glad to have you on board, a warm welcome to the VM community.

Sorry to hear of all the issues with your hub 5 recently, and the inconvenience this has caused to you and your family. 

We'd love to help, could you please advise how things look since you last posted here on Tuesday and if you've found an outage on our service status page for your area while the connection problems were present, as suggested by our forum insightful member Adduxi above?

When an area outage is affecting you, we send our engineer to work on this and resolve the network issues as our agents cannot help remotely with this and a technician visit to your house would not help.

You can also view our outages info and updates on this page where you can register your number for SMS notifications when this status changes.

Let us know how you get on and if you need more help or advice, we're glad to support you further where needed.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs