cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 for new install (Gig1) instead of hub 4

halewoodj
Tuning in

Hi!

I'm hoping someone (probably one of the staff) can help here.

I'm due to switch over to Gig1 on the 6th of November, and will be getting a Hub 4 delivered on that day for this.

As of today the Hub 5 has been released, and I'd much rather have a Hub 5 as it doesn't have the Intel Puma chipset inside, and has WiFi 6.

Is there any way to request this? Seems kind of pointless me having a new install with the Hub 4 when there is a newer version being introduced!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

12 REPLIES 12

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 5 hasn't been released as standard kit yet.

It seems there is invite only pilot with some customers being done from next week, however the released Hub for Gig1 is the Hub 4.

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/virgin-media-launches-its-first-ever-wifi-6-broadband-router/

As part of a phased roll-out, Virgin Media will offer the Hub 5 to existing customers first at no extra cost. Eligible customers will be contacted and given the option of upgrading ahead of a wider launch in 2022.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Is there a way to express interest in being part of the pilot? As I'd gladly provide feedback and take part.

Thanks.

I bet if the hub 5 was just a modem people will not be quick to ask for one...unless you want a modem.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Given that the Hub 5 has a Broadcom chipset inside and not the problematic Intel Puma series, I can see people being interested both for use as a router and a modem. 

It seems I'm the last to know that the hub 5 has Broadcom chipset or is that for the Ethernet ports? if my super hub 1 keeps on going VM might give me a hub 5😋

Both the SoC and networking chips are Broadcom. 

But you don't want to use the hub 5 as a router you want to use it in modem mode because the wireless is going to be bad anyway.

So invite or not, how eventually do you get a hub5?

Do you need to be on the silly speeds for them to send you one, Im only on 350 package, Hub 3 is has been perfectly fine for me though, I use it in modem mode, but if the hub 5 is better and doesn't have the puma chipset which had issues, why cant I get one?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@mitch84 but if the hub 5 is better and doesn't have the puma chipset which had issues, why cant I get one?

There's no proof the Hub 5 is better.  Some aspects of the spec are better, but that doesn't mean the whole kaboodle is better. 

The Hub 3 Puma workaround operates very successfully.  Chips in the Hub 4 post-date the Puma flaw debacle (as will late production Hub 3's) so will not be affected, and evidence suggests that for two years after launch, each new hub has unresolved and sometimes serious firmware flaws.  The Hub 4 is now two years old, and all or most of the serious faults have been fixed.  Anybody taking a Hub 5 needs to understand that they are using a hub which has not seen widespread public trials, and will have unresolved issues (and there will probably be latency spikes because the early adopters will likely have hub firmware with regular "dial home" of performance data, as seen on early Hub 3 and Hub 4).

Let's assume you're happy to trial unproven hardware - why can't you get one?  Because it isn't on general issue, and VM have already provided you with a capable hub/modem.  Stocks will be limited.  VM will be paying far more for the Hub 5 than current versions of the Hub 3 or 4.  Even if you'd signed up for trials (which you usually have to do in advance of any offered trial), it doesn't follow that you'd be accepted because early market release trials (like the previous secret trials) have very limited numbers, and the participants are usually chosen according to particular areas, have particular use patterns or bundles.  If you're willing to trial one and get offered one, it's no good later whining if it turns out to be unreliable, or to have limitations in firmware that impinge upon your use of your connection.  Does that sound "better" to you?

I'm sure that the Hub 5 will eventually be a very good piece of kit, and perhaps the best hub VM have ever offered.  But at the moment it's unproven, and of itself new does not equal better.