Menu
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4

Been trying to extend wifi coverage as we now have some 20 devices of one sort of another on the Hub3 get quite a bit of buffering on CCTV. I have two boosters which really haven’t helped that much. Have upgraded BB to 200meg from 100 . VM has called me and are sending a Hub 4. I have read it’s more powerful than Hub 3 but it’s incompatible with boosters.

Correct or not?

I have to return one booster. Do I risk it and install Hub 4 and do away with boosters ??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4

Have a search of the Broadband Forums and make your decision from what others have said about it.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, not good news is it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ianjayne wrote:

Been trying to extend wifi coverage as we now have some 20 devices of one sort of another on the Hub3 get quite a bit of buffering on CCTV. I have two boosters which really haven’t helped that much. Have upgraded BB to 200meg from 100 . VM has called me and are sending a Hub 4. I have read it’s more powerful than Hub 3 but it’s incompatible with boosters. <snip>?

Yes, more "powerful" in the sense it can bond more channels and has a slightly more modern chipset, but as far as WiFi is concerned, no.  It still has the same small internal aerials, so no better or no worse than the Hub 3.

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

At least it’s NO WORSE. 😆
I’ll be in no rush to install it. It took me about a year before I installed Hub3 to change from the Super Hub 2. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Well it was all going so well, Hub 4 installed, booster connects albeit with the previous HUB3 ID (maybe that will change too in time as when I last changed a faulty Hub3 that did the same for a while despite syncing), but then it happened and went down hill from thereon and I think somewhere else has mentioned this on a similar post, the much vaunted 'Connect App' is not compatible with the Hub 4 or the Hub 4 is not compatible with the Connect App. Well done VM (or so you should be). Says 'Sorry... we don't support this kind of modem yet. When we do you'll enjoy everything this app has to offer', oh goody VM so I can't message you on it you VM nice move - I had that feature on Hub 3, why don't you get your act together and offer the same compatibility with Hub 4 as you did with Hub 3? I can't wait, but for how long I ask?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi ianjayne, sorry for the delayed response.

Unfortunately we don't have any confirmation on when the Connect app will be compatible with the Hub'4 at this stage, but we'll ensure your feedback is passed on from here. Apologies for the disappointment caused. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tom  It would be even better if the Hub 4 was any better than Hub 3 but it's not. That's despite upping my line speed to 200 which was discussd as another option and possible cure. Very disappointed all round really.  Numerous drop outs buffering etc etc of wifi, after rebooting it settles down that is until the next time.  So all that's left now is to move the hub to a different place in the house and I'm not paying to have that done.

IJ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The performance can vary due to many different factors, I did see an improvement when I got the hub'4 though nothing massively noticeable to be honest. The wireless troubleshooting tips here & here may help. If not then relocation of the hub or 3rd party solutions may be required 

Just to confirm - is it WiFi specifically you're having problems with, or have you noticed issues with wired connections too? If it's the latter then there may be a network issue that needs looking into. I've taken a look and there are no known faults or obvious issues at the moment. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No Tom just wifi. I have noticed the odd area issue. Nothing long term.  The third party issues if any and there are some now and then can only be your VM Booster. It doesn’t seem to pair with the Hub4 as it retains the Hub 3 ID. And strangely I can connect to wifi through it with any devices previously connected to the old Hub 3. Any advice on that - wifi devices connect using that old Hub3 ID ?

Ian 

0 Kudos