cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Modem Mode

se1lad
Up to speed

I recently posted about some issues I had after migrating from a Hub 3 to a Hub 4.  On further investigation it looks like my issue may be around the Hub 4 not being properly in Modem mode.  

When I open up the Hub 4 setting page it shows it as being in modem mode, however the Hub 4 SSID is still broadcasting, also the Hub 4 light has not changed colour and is steady white.  I am also able to connect to the Hub settings page using both the default IP and the modem mode IP address.

I've also been able to pin down the occasional problem I've been getting with the connection - it looks like the DHCP server on the hub is still active and this is conflicting with the DHCP server on my mesh network.

I've already tried resetting the Hub 4 to default settings and moving it to modem mode again, this didn't help.

The Hub 4 I received was obviously second hand (scuff down the side) and wasn't set to the default setting when I received it - the SSID had been renamed by the previous owner, so I am wondering if maybe it didn't go through any QC checks before being sent out?

Any suggestions on next steps?  I just spent half an hour on the phone to technical support, all they wanted me to do was to re enable normal mode on the hub and connect using the hub wifi, which obviously doesn't fix my problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Quick update on my issue. A virgin engineer attended my home this morning and replaced my hub four with a brand new hub five. The firmware has already updated to the latest version on this one and the light has changed to the correct colour for modem mode so hopefully I’ll have more luck this time.

I was really impressed with the engineer - she also took the time to check my signal levels and I now have a 6 db attenuator fitted. Downstream is between 3.1-5.9 and upstream 43.5-44.5.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try the pinhole reset one last time .......

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4/5 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect the ethernet cable from the riouter and leave the co-ax still connected, - then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. The SSID and passwords will revert to those on the sticker too.

See if that sorts it going into modem mode

If that doesn’t sort it - call it in as faulty (08.00 is the best time or wait here a day or so for a VM person

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve tried the pinhole request again as per the instructions provided and still have the same issue - I have already tried explaining this to technical support team on the phone without success so I will wait for one of the forum team to pick it up.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the latest firmware for the Hub4 the LED should be green in modem mode, if not and you can get to it on 192.168.100.1 then it looks like it has not been updated to the latest firmware. Unfortunately firmware updates are not in your control, perhaps a VM staff member can arrange a ‘push’ of the latest firmware. If your own router is not on the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 then you can still access it on 192.168.0.1 even in modem mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I’m on the following version which looks like it was released late 2020 - is there a newer version?

Hardware version: 11
Software version: 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There certainly is, unfortunately I cannot give its number as I now have a Hub5, but my Hub4 did get updated when I had it. See this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-Solid-green-light-whilst-in-Bridge-mo...

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hopefully one of the forum team can push out the new firmware - or maybe there is a fault with the hub and one of the symptoms is that it won’t update?

rs888
Dialled in
My first and now replacement hub4 does this in modem mode, it started happening for me when I had a WiFi pod and then returned the pod and had it removed my account.

Anyway I had to disable WiFi in router mode and then enable modem mode to stop the hub4 from broadcasting.

Same FW and HW version as the OP.

I tried disabling Wi-Fi before enabling modem mode on one of my earlier tests — however when I enabled modem mode it reenabled the Wi-Fi.  Note that I’ve never had Wi-Fi pods enabled on my account though.

@Tudor wrote:

There certainly is, unfortunately I cannot give its number as I now have a Hub5, but my Hub4 did get updated when I had it. See this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-Solid-green-light-whilst-in-Bridge-mo...

On searching the forums it looks like this is the latest version:

AR01.04.055.06.07_040722_7245.PC20.10.LG.X1

I wonder if the forum team can arrange for this to be pushed out to my hub?