Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4/Gig1 newbie question

I upgraded to Gig1 broadband from M350 during the week. Received my new Hub 4 on Wednesday but wanted to wait to install it until today just in case anything went wrong and we lost internet, which would not be good as myself and the other half are both working from home at the moment.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised, if not a little shocked to see that the installation went very smoothly. Even my Devolo Powerline network  switched over to the new network name really easily.

I know the speed is still “settling” but I immediately noticed a jump in speed on both my iPhone and iPad. Using SamKnows, the router is getting over 1000mbps. The speeds to my phone/tablet are between 500 and 600, which I am guessing is probably about as good as we will get, given we have a lot of devices connected to the router/WiFi. Does that speed seem appropriate for phone/pad? They are the new iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Air and I did the test in the same room as the router, sitting next to it. I haven’t untrained a wired ethernet connection test yet. 

I also see that Smart WiFi isn’t an option on the settings page for the router. I have never used it on my Hb 3 as it kept booting my phone off WiFi. But I am surprised that it’s been removed from Hub 4. Unless it’s hidden in a different menu and I missed it.

I know lots of people have had problems with the Hub 4 and Gig1 service... am hoping my good luck so far will last. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 4/Gig1 newbie question

Hey!  A happy customer!  Break out the champagne!

Regarding the phone and tablet, yes, 5-600 Mbps is generally the sort of speed you'd expect.  Although the iPhone 12 supports Wifi 6, the Hub is sadly still stuck with the 802.11ac standard.  You could see if the 5 GHz wireless settings of the hub are set to 20/40/80 channel width, if not give it a try, it might help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser... hopefully I haven’t jinxed myself by posting too soon! It’s only been 8 hours since it went live! The 5GHz is indeed tab 20/40/80... To be honest, getting 500 to 600 is rather a decent jump from the 250 or so I had previously.... once it’s settled down after a few days, I will try an ethernet test just to see what the speed is like that way.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There shouldn't be any "settling down" what you have is what you get.

Test on ethernet as soon as, and report back.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

But remember that the output of the Hub 4 is limited to somewhere around 940 Mbps on any one port as that's what you get through a one gigabit etherent port.  If you're getting the expected 1140 into the device, it can spread that full amount across the wifi and the ethernet ports, but you'll never be able to manage above c940 on a speed measurement of a single device.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos