Menu
isgregory
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4.0 compatability with powerline boosters

Hi,

We have just had the new Hub 4.0 delivered and want to know whether we should use our existing Powerline Booster (used with Hub 3) with the new hub.

Our Virgin connectivity throughout the house has been problematic this year. We spent ages configuring the boosters to optimum impact and don't want to spend another working day trying and then finding out the two pieces of kit are incompatible. 

If they are, how do we get a compatible booster?

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 4.0 compatability with powerline boosters

Hi,
They should be absolutely fine.
You may need to to set them up to clone your Hub 4 SSID if you have them set up this way. If you have them as a seperate SSID then it should be a case of just plugging the ethernet cable into the new Hub4

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
isgregory
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

This doesn't work - the speed I am getting using the booster is 1.96 Megabits per second.

I am sure that isn't what we pay for.

I am happy to go to another provider for a booster, but I need wifi downstairs and I need advice. 

Change to BT/ Sky or get an answer?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If your electrical circuit is poor with lots of connections, old cables etc it will affect the Power Line Connection.

The very best fix would be to run a Cat 6 cable between the two points with an 8 port switch and a simple wireless access point in the target room.

Next would be a third party more powerful router or mesh system.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
isgregory
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Only thing is, the electrical circuit/ power line configuration worked fine with Hub 3.0. So that means that when we change to 4.0 and it doesn't work, looks like we need a different booster.

So I'm keen on following that line of enquiry for time being.

But thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you disable the boosters and connect directly to the HUB4, what speed do you get then? 

Boosters work on any type of hub, even across providers, so it's unlikely to be those unless they have become faulty. It could also be because of a recent change in the equipment in your house. For example, a washing machine, tumble dryer or microwave will degrade the boosters signal. 

0 Kudos
isgregory
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - we'll check that out!

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A couple of weeks back I read that cheap Chinese LED bulbs in desktop lamps and standard lamps are putting a lot of interference back into the mains circuits. How and how true that is I don't know but it may be worth checking.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
isgregory
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We’ve checked it out.

No booster - phones don’t even pick up WiFi

no booster - MacBook Pro worked much better (200)

so something going on there.

another type of booster? 

0 Kudos