Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 with BT whole home wifi

To extend the Virgin Hub 3 broadband I got a BT whole home 3 disc wifi mesh system.

I assembled it per the app instructions and set up one disc in the router and 2 around the house.

Very disappointed to only be getting 10-20 mbps when connected to BT Home wifi and still 100+ near to the Virgin router.

I tried disabling the wifi from the virgin router but this made no difference at all.

Any suggestions before I send it back?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 with BT whole home wifi

The bt system is more of a repeater than a proper mesh so you might have to make sure the discs are close enough together to get a good signal and make sure you are connected to the disc that is closest to you. If a dish is getting a poor signal you are going to get the same poor signal just amplified. 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Does it make a difference if the WiFi is disabled on the Virgin router? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Probably will make a difference. You have 4 devices on the 2.4 GHz band and there are only 3 clear channels to use, 1, 6 & 11. So the VM hub will be on one of the channels of one of the discs, so you would probably get interference. Mesh systems like this have an inherent problem in that unless all the ‘discs’ are cabled attached to the VM hub you will play pass-the-parcel with data. Some systems have a 3rd ‘backhaul’ channel (on the 5Ghz band) for talking between stations, but these still suffer from the problem of WiFi being half-duplex. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2