cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3, modem mode, solid red light

crnz
Joining in

Connected modem yesterday afternoon, internet works, good speed, however solid red light present on hub 3. Hub is not hot and happens if I switch hub 3 in modem only mode. (In router mode I have solid amber light and WiFi and Internet works as expected.) 

I will need to use it in modem only mode.

Shall I be worried by the red light?

If I run a service chk from virgin media web there is a message that there ia a problem I'm my area, which could explain se on day red light.

Pls advice 

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the light is said to be magenta in modem mode - with the quality of the leds that can be many shades of and red is one of them - the key to the hub3 overheating or thinking it is is to put it into router mode and see what the colour is then - if its still red then the hub needs replacing - if it is anything between white and coffee coloured then its fine

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the light is said to be magenta in modem mode - with the quality of the leds that can be many shades of and red is one of them - the key to the hub3 overheating or thinking it is is to put it into router mode and see what the colour is then - if its still red then the hub needs replacing - if it is anything between white and coffee coloured then its fine

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you for your reply 

As said on my post, if hub 3 is in router mode the light is solid Amber.. So will assume all is fine while Internet works as expected

Best Regards 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I think when VM was asked about the LED they said what ever we don't care. The SH1/2 had a much easier LED indication as to what it was doing.

So if you think your connection is fine then it fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi crnz, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your Hub 3 displaying a red light. As already mentioned by -tony-, as the Hub is currently in modem mode, the light will be a magenta colour but can look quite red at times. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. 

As it's not happening when in router mode, there is nothing to worry about. If this changes though, please follow the below steps: 

➡ Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.

➡ Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.

➡ Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If the red light still shows after doing the above, pop back here and let us know. We can then arrange an engineer to visit to swap out the Hub.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs