Menu
Aech
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 is absolute trash.

The hub 3 we've had for over a year has been really hit and miss with wifi. Sometimes it'll be fine then others we're lucky to connect to it from a few feet away.

So we entered into a new contract and the first thing I asked for was a new hub. The hub arrived and I connected it all up. It then asked me to enter the settings password which was not the 8 digits on the underside of the hub. After closer inspection the hub we were sent was an older one than the one we had, not only this but it was clearly second hand because the settings password had already been changed. I'm not sure if you thought you'd get away with that or not but, you didn't. 

Anyway, I factory reset the hub and got it all working only to find it's actually worse than the one we've got. Very frustratingly I connected up the original hub. Now the ethernet ports don't work. So I factory reset that one. It's now stuck on update in progress...

I can't begin to explain to you how extremely annoying this whole experience has been. I just want a working router that provides a stable wifi connection through our house. It's not too much to ask is it?

I want this sorted out or we cancel the new contract on the grounds of equipment unfit for use.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 is absolute trash.

It's been documented on this forum for over a decade if you need a really good WiFi connection you have the option of buying your own router and connecting it to the hub3 by putting it in modem mode 

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You rent the hub from Virgin and they reuse returned hubs or provide new at their discretion, you never own it.

Every building and location has it’s own wifi limitations due to several factors. As said many times, the virgin hubs are basic entry level devices and if you want something better you need to put it into modem mode and buy your own wireless router. Virgin do have wifi extenders but these are not the best solution for heavy users. If you buy your own router be sure to check reviews to decide which is likely to give you the best balance of performance, facilities and price. For a large house you may find a mesh set up worth considering.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's also documented that once you have a replacement hub (which will be refurbished most of the time) you'll no longer be able to use the old one as its been removed from the network. If you are unhappy with your replacement you'll need to request another. But... The hubs work fine with no problems in modem mode. 

0 Kudos