Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 does not connect to wires coming out of the wall

The person who lived in my flat before me also used Virgin, and thus there are 2 wires coming out of the wall. 

These wires, if I am correct, are coaxial ones, with a c. 5mm needle-like point at the outside end.

These needle-like wires, however, are slightly (perhaps by only 3 or 4mm) too short to connect tightly to the Hub. I am therefore left with a flashing green light, which apparently denotes a "loose connection".

I am struggling to see how I am supposed to rectify things.

Additionally, the Hub itself came with a white coaxial wire, which I have not been able to use. This is because, whilst one end of it fits very tightly and snugly to the Hub (in contrast with the wires I allude to above, which were already coming out of the wall), the other end does not connect to the wires coming out of the wall. 

As always, Virgin's online support has been truly and utterly useless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 does not connect to wires coming out of the wall

post some photos - in the mean time look for another wire or wall box - VM would normally only have 1 coax wire - 2 sounds like a sky shotgun cable - what dia are the wires and if you trace them back are they a twin wire

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the quick response. Think the diameter is around 6mm and yes it's a twin wire.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-26 at 14.26.09 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-26 at 14.26.09 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-26 at 14.26.09.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

thats sky cable - so either the previous tennent was wrong - why should he be or there is another box or cable somewhere in the flat - you are really looking for a wall box bus sometime they are removed and just the cable left - VM cable is thicker than that 10mm ish and single

there has certainly been VM there before - if not then quick start would not have been possible

difficult with flats but best start point is outside - look for the external wall box and follow the cable from it inside

where did the white cable come from and more interestingly the 6db attenuator - i was not aware sky used them - they certainly look like VM parts

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. So I just spoke with the previous owner, and I can confirm that the white wire you see is the Virgin wifi one.

He said the Virgin engineer added the attenuator in his case.

It doesn't connect firmly to the Hub even without the attenuator.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

i obviously cannot dispute what you say but there is something badly wrong - no question the twin wires are not VM installed - they are Sky - how and why they work is interesting in the least - if a VM tech has used them and added the cable and attenuator then he needs his hands smacked imo as under no circumstances is Sky coax good enough for VM

but lets go back - the arrenuator is always a bit delicate on the back of the hub - i would remove it and put it between the Sky cable and the white cable - then connect the white cable to the hub - that should be ok 

assuming the previous owner is telling it all then your connection should work - lets see if it does

BUT and its a big but you need a tech who is going to do the thing correctly and not make do - so will flag the thread and lets get something booked

post back if it works when you connect it all up

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion.

It sadly doesn't work even with the attenuator repositioned. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

i assume you get a green flashing light - if so no great surprise - no way should it be running down sky coax if it indeed is - wait for VM to get to the thread they will book a tech or ring and book one

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Correct -- flashing green light. 

Will do, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi rmehta267

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums

I've got a tech visit booked for you to help with your setup on Saturday, Date: 31/10/20, 12-4PM. You can view or reschedule this from your online account with this link

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos