Menu
patwo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 and TV V6 box installation problem

I'm hoping that the community can prove more helpful than Virgin's Customer Support with my installation problem.

I've recently upgraded from a TV only package (Tivo box) to broadband, phone and V6 box. The Hub and V6 were dispatched as seperate items.  On starting the home install I found the wall socket has only one output which is currently feeding the Tivo box. The instruction manual is expecting the wall socket to have a second outlet for the Hub. I contacted Customer Support and
arranged for an engineer to come at the end of May to upgrade the wall socket.

Since then I have found:

• the Virgin Media YouTube installation tutorial which shows a connection cable (not supplied) that appears to act as a splitter, and
  • answers on this site that state that Virgin Media will ship out a coax splitter if required

I phoned Customer Support to ask if they could ship me either the connections cables or a splitter and they refused, insisting that an engineer is required to plug either into the wall socket which means I'll be without my upgrade until we come out of Corona Virus lockdown.

So my question is am I OK to by any coax splitter off the internet or does anyone know if and where I can by one that is approved by VM?

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 and TV V6 box installation problem

It’s in advisable to do your own cabling, you can introduce noise into the system that will not only affect you, but other customers on the same street cabinet. Why you need a technician is not to do the actual work of plugging in the splitter and cable, you could probably do this if they supplied it, but to check you signal levels and possibly make adjustments at the street box. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
patwo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Tudor, I'm not an engineer but as VM's own home installation video shows the connection cable as part of the kit I can't see it introducing noise on the same street cabinet; if it can I would expect them pull their installation video off their YouTube channel or stop self home installations altogether.  As to it introducing noise within my home, as I explained to Customer Services, if 50% of their customers install it correctly without causing noise, surely that reduces the number of engineer home visits by half, giving the engineers more time to address problems that only they can sort out?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.  It's good to know that someone out there is listening

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As an example, a year or two ago, my neighbour was having "noise" problems on their connection and the investigating VM tech team just happened to knock on my door and ask to see our connections. We are NOT piggy-backed to the same house "brown box" -  they were just checking everyone on the same street cab.
Long story short... their noise problem was caused by MY daughter (unbeknown to me) moving her V6 box and using some cheap tat co-ax cable she got from Amazon! - they changed the cable and connectors in her room and hey presto, the neighbour was sorted - lesson learned !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's a nonsense that you weren't sent the QuickStart pack which is what VM would have done if you were a new customer or an existing customer moving home. Hopefully a forum team member can arrange for the isolator cable, coaxial cable for the hub and the splitter to be sent to you.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In my experience, one of the best changes made by VM in recent years was the introduction of the isolator.

My original cable installation in 1997 (by Nynex) just had the cable go straight the 'set top box'.

When the system went digital the STB was used as the modem.
I've had numerous different modems over the years and all have suffered from some spurious problem which the modem stats quite often showed as low or variable s/n ratio.

I left VM 5 years ago only to return in 2018. My new install was performed by a tech and this included a SH and two V6 boxes.
Network stability seems much improved now and I put this down (at least partially) to introduction of the isolators.

To the OP; You will need...

An isolator.
Three F-Type male to male cables.
One two port splitter.
One V6 adapter (either a cable version or direct adapter).

I'm not sure if the isolator is available on line but the other items are.
As a stop gap that may be your best route before getting a tech out.

Signal levels may be an issue because the splitter introduces a 3dB reduction in power levels to each device. If signal levels are too low then this can only be compensated for by adjustments by a tech in the street cabinet.

timbentinck
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just in case anyone else has the same problem as me, here's a solution. (I've been with Virgin almost since they started)

Upgraded from TiVo  to V6. Can't do it online so rang 150. Took an hour on hold listening to seriously dreadful music, which was almost worse than lockdown, went slightly mad. Box arrived with no remote and no coax converter. Rang again, anticipating more torture. Got through IMMEDIATLEY. Asked for remote and converter. Few days later remote arrived with no converter. Fed up so bought one for £4.99 from Amazon. Virgin converter arrived the next day, as did the Amazon one.

Followed installation instructions and got the dreaded white down arrow onto a box. Tested everything, re-booted, watched YouTube solutions. Nothing.

Rang  150 again. Recorded voice said, 'We see you have a new V6 box. Would you like us to activate it for you? If so, press 2'

What?

Pressed 2. Ten minutes later it's all working.

Am I being a dunce? I've looked through the whole instruction pamphlet again, and nowhere does it tell you to do that, so I swear it's not a case of RTFM.

I'm the guy that helps people with their computer and tech problem. I'm 67, I used to write code and can usually worry a problem to death, as I had to with this, but seriously Virgin, please, send the box with the remote and the converter, and just enclose one line that says, 'Plug it all in then ring us to activate your box'.

Oh and then re-boot it another couple of times to get it all working properly.

Also on this Saturday, I hung some curtains, set up a microphone arm for my son, replaced a faulty dimmer switch, helped my wife clear out the airing cupboard, and cooked supper.

Hoorah for Covid!

I know I'm rambling but I thought this might brighten an otherwise dour topic. x

0 Kudos