cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Hub 3]: Power supply (or hub?) failing

mpmc
Superfast

Hi folks!

This is a bit of an odd one. I've had the hub 3 in modem mode since joining VM in Oct 21 & it's been fine until recently, and I'm pretty sure it's the power supply failing to blame. (more on why I think this in a few).

On the 15th of July the hub became unresponsive and was hard rebooted, which appeared to solve the issue. I did however notice that it was rather hot so it was given a good blowing using an electric air blower for motherboards/electronics before reconnecting, a very small amount of dust came out. But it appeared to be happy again and that was that.

Here's the BQM showing when it went un-responsive and given a dust (hence why it was off for a bit)Here's the BQM showing when it went un-responsive and given a dust (hence why it was off for a bit)

For a while at least. It did have its moments of just turning itself off & on every now and again... Until yesterday/today when it decided to go into some weird "reboot loop". 

Reset and reboot loopReset and reboot loop

At this point I did a remote factory reset & that worked for a little while again.. I did it a few times as it kept freezing every time I tried to put it into modem mode.

Spoiler
Time Priority Description
28/07/2022 09:25:56 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:23:6 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:19:22 notice Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:16:27 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:10:4 Warning! LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:09:49 notice Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:05:58 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 09:00:12 notice Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 08:57:14 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 08:50:35 notice Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 08:18:55 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 08:18:46 notice Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 08:15:5 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/07/2022 00:43:17 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2022 06:42:55 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2022 06:36:51 notice Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/07/2022 06:35:32 notice LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/07/2022 06:38:20 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/07/2022 03:28:45 Error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/07/2022 03:51:57 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

At this point I went to investigate further to physically pin hole reset, and noticed something smelling of cooking electronics - from the power brick! Which appeared to be working but rather than risk a fire from the VM PSU I swapped it for a 12v mini lipo ups...

And so far (touch wood) since swapping it for the mini-ups we have internet, and the hub hasn't gone crazy.

---

This however isn't ideal and I would really like my UPS back! Would it be possible to be sent either a replacement power brick, or better yet another hub (perhaps a hub 5 ;)) please? There is no need to send a tech out just to replace the hub/power supply They're pretty easy to swap out!

---

Line stats are here for those interested (and I know some will ask for them). 

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mpmc,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your Hub PSU issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have asked VM to come and comment

You wont get a Hub5 - its by invitation to selected customers only and still essentially in a test phase

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand

Thanks. Although I have a feeling they'd want a tech out rather than just popping a replacement 12v power brick in the post. Which isn't ideal as none of us are very well and wouldn't want to pass it on.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Hi @mpmc

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your hub. We can understand your concern and we want to best help. In this case, I am sending you a private message to best discuss a resolution. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

No problem at all @mpmc

Please let us know how this goes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

So rather than getting a tech out (to change a plug 😶) and with the hub 5 swap now generally available, I requested one. I thought it would be easier for everyone. But sadly this doesn't appear to be the case and my request has been cancelled due to..

---

We know you’re expecting a Hub 5, but we’re sorry to say that some of your account features won’t work with this Hub quite yet. This could be because you’ve just upgraded to Hub 4, you’ve got WiFi Pods or your order needs to be installed by a technician instead of installing it yourself with QuickStart.

Unfortunately, that means we’ve had to cancel the order. We’re really sorry about that. You don’t need to do anything, just carry on using your current Hub as usual.

---

None of the above apply in my case, so I can only assume the stopper is the emergency backup line, however as per usual the response is vague and I have no idea if this is the actual reason and it seems VM isn't open to solutions.

If the EBUL is the issue I'm not surprised and given how poor of a solution it is I actually made my own more reliable and usable solution and should be able to drop the EBUL now. Poor @pogit1 meanwhile has to suffer and VM don't appear to care.

@Akua_A wrote:

No problem at all @mpmc

Please let us know how this goes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Please go ahead and book a tech to swap the PSU.

---

I would also like to make everyone aware that my above post is merely me being frustrated with the red tape & hoops that customers are made to jump through to get solutions to the most simplest things. This is nothing against the VM staff who have no control over such things and are just doing their jobs! The amount of abuse I've seen towards the VM Forum staff on here is disgusting.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mpmc,

Thank you for coming back to us and for updating us on your journey. I do apologise that you're unable to upgrade to the Hub 5 for now.

I'll be happy to help book in a technician appointment to help with your current Hub issue. I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mpmc,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your Hub PSU issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mpmc,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Messages. I'm glad that I was able to amend your meeting to a time that is more suitable for you.

Please let us know how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance going forward.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team