Menu
MartinFS
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 shows ethernet connection toIpad

My Hub 3.0 lists connected devices as including ethernet  connection to various devices including my iPhone and iPad.and Sonos speakers. Does anyone know why and howit canbe fixed please.  Is this the reason why my samsung wireless speakers only work intermitenly. 

And one final techy question when wifi selects channels auto matically does that change for all connected devices or can different devices be on different channels.

Thanks in anticipation

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 shows ethernet connection toIpad

Your speakers probably work intermittently because the WiFi from the hub 3 is crap. If you want decent quality WiFi you need to invest in a decent quality WiFi router. The provided router is build down to a price and considered basic in all forms. 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@MartinFS do you happen to have any wifi extenders by any chance, especially the Powerline connected ones? Different devices can't be on different channels, no - the Hub chooses the channel it thinks is the best and only broadcasts on that one, all client devices move to that channel.

0 Kudos
MartinFS
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful points, good to know I do not have to worry about channel selection.  I do have an ethernet over power extension by Devolo.  The wifi repeater must be delivering a stronger signal than the base station.  The old pantomine joke the wifi is behind you.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As far as the Hub is concerned, the access point and, crucially, any WiFi device which is ‘associated’ with it are connected over Ethernet, which is why you can often see phones and tablets apparently ‘wired’ in to the Hub.

There is a common misconception about WiFi where people usually think that if you have two access points broadcasting the same SSID, then if you connect a device to the WiFi it will ‘seamlessly’ hop between the access points depending which one has the strongest signal as you move around - this isn’t actually the case! Once connected a device will ‘stick’ to that access point even if a stronger signal is available until the signal level drops below a certain threshold at which point the device looks for a better signal and associates with that one. Mesh WiFi systems and properly managed access points talk among themselves and work out if a particular device would be better off on a different access point. If so, then they send a ‘disassociate message’ to the device which disconnects from the current access point and reconnects to the better one.

Your booster may not have a stronger signal than the Hub, it’s just that it is the one your iPad first connected to and it will stay connected until the signal drops below a critical value.

0 Kudos