Menu
RobertNeizer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to go about getting council approval?

Hi All,

I was hoping to get Virgin services, although im sceptical after the circles ive been in. 

I placed an order for Fibre+TV+Landline+Mobile SIM.

I was asked by the Virgin team to provide them quite a few details of the landlord of the property, which is the local council. I live with my parents so am not the tenancy holder which adds some complications for me personally.

I would have thought Virgin would have had some pre-agreement with the councils when they install there infrastructure on the street so that the customer would not have to go through this?

If there is anyone UK based that could shed some light on the process and how they went about it that would be much appreciated. There isnt really a direct number i can get to act as a 'Landlord' and any other number is just a automated service.

I have since told them i would like to cancel the order as i cant provide them the information which they were happy to do. Ive spoke to 5 people in india and 1 person in the UK who told me they only deal with existing customers that are leaving and transferred me back to india, which doesnt help much as they cant give any guidance on UK local councils.

I would still like the services however if its at all possible. 

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to go about getting council approval?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here and welcome to the forums.

i will contact you by private message for your personal details and see what’s what with your order. Normally council owned property is not an issue so there must be something slightly out of the ordinary here.

thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is the infrastructure available in your street?

Is there evidence of other houses with omniboxes on their front walls?

If not then its likely either A) The road was private at the time of network build, so would not have been cabled. Or B) There were issues with the existing service strips that either prevented build in the street or made it uneconomic.

Roads that were missed like this would be classed as infill development & do have a hefty price tag so there is a limited budget to get these done, & the majority of the road would have to show an interest in taking services.

There should be no problems installing in a council tenanted house if there is infrastructure existing in the street. I live in one myself, & while it is in tenancy agreements that you should inform them if you are to installing a TV aerial/satellite dish, you should not need permission as such.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

RobertNeizer
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nod,

Thanks for the reply.

The only infrastructure i can see is there grey box that they install at the end of the street ( forgot what there called ). It was not installed long ago ( within the last year ).They dug through the pavement directly outside of everyones front gate to there house so i assume the cabling is in place. I cannot see anything other than the usual sat dish on other peoples properties. I received the letter from Virgin within the last month or 2 that services were now available.

To be honest i would like to just tell them go ahead and do what they need to do. But there asking for contact details of landlord and written confirmation which becomes a pain for me.

Thank you for the information

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have a few problems, you need the permission of the land lord before the contractors are allowed to start drilling and installing cables as it's their property.

The person who contacts the land lord needs to be the tenant. 

So you need to talk to your parents to get them to request permission from the land lord. 

Once Virgin have this permission things will go ahead. 

RobertNeizer
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I thought this would pretty much be the case but was hoping there may be an easier method.

By any chance do you or anyone else know which council department i would speak to that would grant permission? I will try and have a word with them and find more details on the process and see if it is something i can provide. I have tried to search but my council.gov website doesnt seem to have any information on applying for a wayleave ( think thats what im looking for ).
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Without knowing which council owns your particular property it would be impossible to say. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@RobertNeizer wrote:
I thought this would pretty much be the case but was hoping there may be an easier method.

By any chance do you or anyone else know which council department i would speak to that would grant permission? I will try and have a word with them and find more details on the process and see if it is something i can provide. I have tried to search but my council.gov website doesnt seem to have any information on applying for a wayleave ( think thats what im looking for ).

Look on the Council website or maybe phone the council and ask the switchboard.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos