cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to factory reset Hub 5

errodiel
Tuning in

Can anyone help me factory reset my Hub 5? I'm having some issues which I suspect are due to the hub not handling DHCP well (devices have very high IPs, as though old IPs are not being released back into the pool when leases end), and I'd like to factory reset the hub as a trouble-shooting step. But it fails me. I've tried 4 times this afternoon:

1. Using the link in the hub software
  2. Using the pinhole (approx 15 seconds press)
  3. Using the pinhole (approx 60 seconds press - light flashed once at 20 seconds)
  4. Using the 30/30/30 method

Each time the same result - some basic settings are reset (SSID, wifi password, hub admin password all restored to default), but as soon as I look at the DHCP page every device has the same IP address as they did this morning. My phone comes back on with the IP 192.168.0.140, for example. 

None of our devices are configured to use static IPs, and there are no reserved IPs set up in the hub. Five minutes after reset number 3 one of my devices showed as having 76000 seconds remaining on its lease, so clearly I'm not achieving what I want to here. 

Any help would be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM i.p. addresses are notoriously "sticky".

My Hub ip address has changed once in 5 years. It is pseudo-static 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are using DHCP it matters not one iota what IP address a device is given. Leases do go back to the pool when they are released, but possibly not reused perhaps until the same device MAC is seen again. Saves processing work. If you have a DHCP pool of say 10 addresses of course they addresses are more likely to be reused frequently. If you have a pool of 200 addresses it makes sense to use them all so they are not reused more frequently. What is your actual problem that is impacting your service?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, I do understand that, I'm more just seeing the unchanged IP addresses as a sign that the "factory reset" has not actually fully reset the device. 

I have two problems, which feel related:

• Occasionally my personal devices don't connect to WiFi. Phones, a tablet, a laptop, will occasionally just refuse to connect with no useful error message. Occasionally assigning a local IP address solves it, occasionally not. In all cases, signing into the guest WiFi network solves the problem. 
  • After working flawlessly for 2 years, my work laptop occasionally fails to find it's vpn. It is online, but can't see any resources on the network - intranet, shared drives, etc. I had it replaced and coincidentally got a different make and model, but after about 2 weeks the error recurred. Sometimes flipping between main WiFi network, guest network, and a phone hotspot restores access, sometimes it doesn't. I can't currently hardwire this laptop. 

A full factory reset of the hub seemed like a sensible step in addressing both these problems, so I'd just like advice that the steps I've performed already have achieved that, or alternatively what I can do to actually reset it. 

(Sorry if this seems snippy, I'm just in a bit of a rush!)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Your device can ack for the same IP it had last time which the hub can accept if its not given it out yet.

Most of your problem can be solved by get your own router with 1Gb ports use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

The point is there shouldn’t be any problems so why should we have to ….

the Virgin wifi guarantee n la de daa sales promises are still ringing in our ears 

Your not being snippy - you gave the most detailed explanation of a problem ever and it’s exact - the replys you get are statements  about what they’ve got or questions about things with maybe’s attatched to them . It’s unreal . If your not an expert or know the answer don’t reply and waste more of our lives with guesses - sick of it on here for 4 years straight and call centres in Asia and India for help and apps that run tests as bad as an it technician asking if you’ve turned it off n on again after you explained exactly what you did in a page long post 

ridiculously sick to death of problem after problem 

if you type 192.168.0.1 in ya browser then click router status and goto network log you’ll see a load of warnings and errors and a list of a things all going wrong and being validated and stuff and none of it’s your fault  - it’s them . But they’ll tell ya they ain’t got a clue or know a damn thing on the phone . Good luck mate