cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change password on new Virgin 5 hub.

Stefano437
Tuning in

Good evening all.

i received my new Virgin 5 hub today and set it up without difficulty.

It was advised that I change the password for it for security reasons but when I try to do this on line through Virgin, I get an error saying that the current password is not valid.

How can this be so, if I am using the new hub to access the internet?

Any advice please. I prefer not to phone because it can be a nightmare trying to get through.

13 REPLIES 13

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Stefano437 wrote:

Good evening all.

i received my new Virgin 5 hub today and set it up without difficulty.

It was advised that I change the password for it for security reasons but when I try to do this on line through Virgin, I get an error saying that the current password is not valid.

How can this be so, if I am using the new hub to access the internet?

Any advice please. I prefer not to phone because it can be a nightmare trying to get through.

You would change passwords on the Hub 5 by logging into it (not via your MVM online account)

192.168.0.1 address in a web browser then use the 'settings' password to gain access (no the wi-fi password) from the sticker underneath.

I believe you are prompted at first login if you want to change the settings password to one of your own as well as wi-fi

Thanks but this still comes up with the same error message. So frustrating. 🤔

@Stefano437 wrote:

Thanks but this still comes up with the same error message. So frustrating. 🤔

Here is the login process from a YouTube video (timed to start at the login bit)

https://youtu.be/7pR1RqAMm0w?t=241

which the guy is doing on a computer which is already connected to the Hub 5

Ideally you would do this when connected with a network cable, not connected via wi-fi, which is why he loses his connection once he changes the wi-fi password!

If still no joy, post up a screenshot of your error message (redacting any personal info before posting)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When I installed my hub5 I was prompted to change the settings password before I could continue. Have you changed it when it was installed? If so the only way to get back to the settings password on the bottom of the hub is a pin hole reset.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I did not change the password to begin with but I thought about it later when I was advised that the original password was also supposed to be on a plastic label within the new hub 5 box. I did not see any plastic label within the box but I may have overlooked it when I sent the old hub 3 back for recycling. 

I don’t suppose it would be of any use to Virgin if it actually was in the box but to be safe, I wanted to change the password. I shall try again now, as the new hub has been up running all day.

Yes, this is the procedure I have been using, although I only have an iPad and not a desktop computer.

This is the message I keep getting. I have typed the password correctly each time. 38F9ADDF-3D82-482F-B522-144986BBECE3.jpeg

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As has been pointed out the default password in printed on the Hub 5's base, as highlighted below:
2022-10-07.jpeg
If have already completed the setup process then it likely the password was changed. To restore the Hub 5's default factory settings see How Do I Reset Or Reboot Hub | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Ah right. So it may have been automatically changed. Well I won’t worry about it for now, then.

Many thanks.