Menu
cpn10189
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How does virgin connect to my house? Is it through my existing BT line?

Hi, I'm looking at potentially moving away from BT and joining Virgin. Can someone tell me please how virgin connect to my house? Is it through the old NTL cabling or is it through the existing BT line? 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How does virgin connect to my house? Is it through my existing BT line?

Hi there,

Happy to help you with this.

Our infrastructure in different to BT's line. Its completely unique and yes it will use the NTL cable through the ground. 

Let me drop you a private message to double check your address over for you.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Christy_D 

Pray tell what is there to take a look at? Edit well you have now edited your original reply to something more like what we should expect.

The answer to the question is obvious and clear.  The BT wiring is not used. VM has its own infrastructure. If there is existing NTL cabling in the house it is probable that the enquirer can get VM services immediately through the quick start process. They get the kit in the post with full instructions on how to set it up. VM will know if the cabling is suitable before accepting the order. This explains what happens:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/quickstart-set-up-help

In the alternative if the enquirer doesn't feel confident about this process they can ask for a tech installation but that will delay things and may be chargeable if quick start was appropriate.

Finally there is the possibility that the NTL cabling in the street has been damaged or is unusable and needs to be replaced. This will required two separate processes. A cable re-pull from the street cabinet to the house and a new local connection as well. Again a bit of a delay.

But quick start works in most cases.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @HowardML 

Thanks for your concerns.

I'm happy to check the address over for the customer to see when the last active services were at this address and provide advice as to whether he would benefit from either a manned install or a quickstart kit.

If there is old NTL cabling inside the property and services haven't been active for some time then we would recommend installations to upgrade any internal cabling, isolators, and setting RF levels correctly.

I am unable to take any personal information publicly due to DPA/GDPR.

Kind regards

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
AFewScoops
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Virginmedia cables will be connected from the NTL socket, if you have one at your property? Will not be the phone socket we connect, are you referring to the phone socket?

——————————————————
I work for Virgin Media, but all my options are my own.

REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU
**************ASK ME HOW***************
***************SEND A PM****************

If you found this information useful or please click thumbs up on Kudos icon and marking as a helpful answer.
THANK YOU ?
——————————————————
0 Kudos