Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report a damaged cable from cab to house done by workmen, the helplines don’t have this

Tuning in

Contact to report a damaged cable done by workmen outside the house, 


Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can report any service faults by the usual method - 0345 4541111 or 150 from a VM phone.

Is this damage to your cable? Can you post some pictures of this damage?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks


That number is useless has no options for this type of issue and impossible to speak to someone

You can see from the picture that the techs that laid the cable did a shoddy job.

Hi there, Finchy3894.

Thank you for posting and sorry to see this issue with your cable outside the property.

In order to help further with this I will send you a PM now.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click this and you'll see my message.

Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs