Menu
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How can I find what the issue is with my connection?

I've had no internet connection for 3 days in a row so far (from 30/12/2020).

I've been trying to report the issue online and call an engineer and the website is giving me errors. I've tried calling customer service but I get an automated message that there's an issue in the area that is very complicated but there is no time estimate.

I have so far spent a month's worth to get some connectivity using a mobile hotspot and by the looks of it this will continue for a while.

What amazes me is virgin is trying to convince me from the online checking "tools" that everything is fine and I need to restart my router.

If there is a moderator reading this can you please investigate the issue and at least give me an update?

If you are not a moderator, is there a specific phone number o can call to make sure the issue is reported and get an estimate? Because the standard phone number ending in 1111 is not really useful.

Also where can I get information on what compensation I am entitled? Because this situation is becoming quite expensive as we need to work from home.

Thanks,

Stefanos

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I find what the issue is with my connection?

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

Try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If internet access is 'mission critical' you could look at getting a 3G / 4G / 5G data dongle from a Mobile company, or more data on your mobile contract, or a cheap BT Line or maybe a Business contract with the better SLAs and free 4G Dongle for when there are problems.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I dialed the number you suggested. I think I am being redirected there when I try to call their main number that ends in 1111. I get the same message, that there is a complicated issue in my postcode and their engineers are working hard to fix it. Somehow I doubt that since it's holidays 🤣

I did try the "Check service status" yes, it initially tells me everything is fine and then I run the tests and it finds issues. I then attemp to book an engineer but the website crashes 😂

Thanks for the advice though. I need to have a look at getting a dongle. With virgin it seems it's a necessity to have backup.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

When VM goes down it goes for several hours. Mine was down on Xmas day till late afternoon. App shows status green. Called customer service and they confirmed there is some issues on the network and can't say when it will be fixed. But I was reassured if I am without service for more than 2 days I will be entitled to compensation of couple ££ credit...what a joke.

With most people working from home its a nightmare. So many occasions I had to turn my mobile into a Wi-Fi hotspot for work. We should not spend extra cash on 4G device as backup.  

When I 1st joined VM the Wi-Fi from the Hub3 was useless so invested in a Mesh kit. Now have to invest in a 4G dongle..

What are we actually paying VM for???

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@sayekm wrote:

When VM goes down it goes for several hours. Mine was down on Xmas day till late afternoon. App shows status green. Called customer service and they confirmed there is some issues on the network and can't say when it will be fixed. But I was reassured if I am without service for more than 2 days I will be entitled to compensation of couple ££ credit...what a joke.

With most people working from home its a nightmare. So many occasions I had to turn my mobile into a Wi-Fi hotspot for work. We should not spend extra cash on 4G device as backup.  

When I 1st joined VM the Wi-Fi from the Hub3 was useless so invested in a Mesh kit. Now have to invest in a 4G dongle..

What are we actually paying VM for???

• A residential connection that's being overwhelmed by everyone working from home, that everyone assumes has a 100% up time.
  • 1000's of new users signing up as they believe faster connections are better when working from home.
  • A proprietary network that's in the process of being upgraded to cover more of the UK, AND provide 1Gbps to all areas.
0 Kudos
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like they should hire more people to support this large and increasing customer base. They are more expensive than BT and hyperoptic.

I had hyperoptic for 3 years with no such issues and at half the price. Once there was a problem with the line and they called me themselves to inform me of the progress.

Poor customer service is what you get when you maximize profits and minimize employees.

What good is 1Gbps if it's down half the time, you are left in the dark and it's the most expensive option in comparison? Even with the TV bundles which you are forced to get. You also have to pay TV licence with these, so you should really add that to your costs as well.

Sorry my friend, but I am not convinced. Unfortunately it's currently the only option for me for now since BT is maxed out and hyperoptic are supporting 1 street bellow. I could try pulling my own cable from down the street 🤣

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @stefgia

Welcome back to our Community and thanks for your post - I was sorry to understand that you're having some service issues and have been struggling to get any updates or information. I have located your account from your forum information and can confirm that we do have a known area issue causing intermittent speed and connection on the broadband; this can also impact the TV service with freezing pictures.

The issue is called SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) and was first logged on 30th December 2020 under reference number  F008701183. At the time of writing, the estimated fix date is showing to be 8th Jan 2021. I have ensured that this has been logged on your account for you. 

Auto compensation is only offered for a total loss of broadband or telephone services longer than 48 hours. the SNR issue is an intermittent issue and is not covered by the OFCOM policy. You can read more about the policy here 

Just to clarify, we do indeed have technicians working 365 days a year to ensure our network is running as smoothly as possible - even in the holidays and festive season. We have also employed hundreds of extra staff here in the UK during the pandemic to help our expanding customer base. 

We offer a competitive price for our services - you're under no obligation to take the TV service if you don't want it and we have a wide variety of broadband only packages available if that is your priority. Just give us a call on 150/03454541111 and our Customer Care team can talk you through them.

In regard to your TV license query - this is totally separate from Virgin Media and any provider in fact. You can read more about how it works and what you are paying for via their own dedicated website

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just an update of the situation. If you are not involved this will be hilarious.

I received today 11/01/2021 a text that the issue has been fixed.
After having normal connection for the last couple of days, I started having problems with my connection today (11/01/2021)

So naturally I called Virgin to report my issue. Just for the record the call took about 1 hour and 15mins to complete. This time, unlike the other times I was able to get into a line and speak with a representative.
I reported the issue, an engineer was booked for 16/01/2021.

In the same call I wanted to verify what refund I would receive for the days I had completely no internet connection. The nice lady on the phone told me she was unsure about a refund and that she can give me a discount. The discount she offered me was £6 for the sky package she saw was in my account. Apart from the fact that I was being made fun of with this offer, the problem is that I cancelled my sky package last month, so what exactly was Virgin discounting? I am not sure what they were trying to pull off there. Another interesting fact, I was offered the exact same discount when I tried to downgrade my package

After an hour of her probably talking with her manager we agreed that I had indeed cancelled my sky last month (I have an email to prove that thank god! always ask for confirmation email when dealing with Virgin, if they don't send you one you can assume whatever you agreed didn't happen).
After this was agreed, which was not the original issue, I was told that the engineer would not be available on 16/01, but instead 18/01 ... in the same call my engineer appointment was basically cancelled.
Finally I was told my refund would be applied, if applicable, after the engineer's visit. I don't see the point, but I guess I'll have to agree on that. Personally, I see it as an attempt to forget the refund.

Temporary conclusion is that :

• The "automated" refund in the event of loss of service is virtually bull excrements
  • When Virgin reports a "fixed" issue, that means nothing (My connection is problematic currently as I am writing this)
  • If you agree something on the phone with Virgin and don’t have proof of that you are bound to get tricked

My current status?

Bad connection and without an “automated” discount from connection loss ... far from internet.

I will update with further news as they come … this looks promising

0 Kudos
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I received a second phone call after we hung up. I think the lady on the phone was trying to change the original agreement on when sky would be downgraded.
I clearly stated our original agreement and made sure that it was standing. She seemed to agree. If there is anything different in my billing from the original agreement, we are going to have more problems I think 😕

Fingers crossed.

Always ask for email confirmation!
0 Kudos