cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with socket?

Sophiesherwin12
Tuning in

image.jpg

 hello, I’ve moved into a new flat with some dodgy paintwork. Just joined Virgin awaiting for the delivery of the set up. Can see the bit I need to use to plug it in has paint over, can anyone help on what to do please? I can’t seem to book an engineer to replace. How can I do it myself? Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Use an 11mm spanner to undo the connector and the bit of cut cable that has been left behind on the socket. The connector has a hexagonal shape to fit the spanner to. Pliers or grips can also be used but may be harder to turn.

The connector may well be very stiff to undo if it has been on there a long time (which is maybe why the cable was cut instead of unscrewed). Use a small amount of turning force to begin with and gradually increase the amount of force until the connector starts to turn.

Inside the box there will be an isolator as per this image

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Quamtex-router-connection/td-p/5128785

If you find the connector is very stiff, you may want to take the lid off the plastic wall box and hold the metal isolator while you remove the old connector to get a better grip.

Once you have removed the old fitting, the new VM connectors are push-fit so you just push the new cable onto the socket.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Kattivix
On our wavelength

Just take off the cutted plug that its already there and put the new one that will come with the kit. pob2.png

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Use an 11mm spanner to undo the connector and the bit of cut cable that has been left behind on the socket. The connector has a hexagonal shape to fit the spanner to. Pliers or grips can also be used but may be harder to turn.

The connector may well be very stiff to undo if it has been on there a long time (which is maybe why the cable was cut instead of unscrewed). Use a small amount of turning force to begin with and gradually increase the amount of force until the connector starts to turn.

Inside the box there will be an isolator as per this image

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Quamtex-router-connection/td-p/5128785

If you find the connector is very stiff, you may want to take the lid off the plastic wall box and hold the metal isolator while you remove the old connector to get a better grip.

Once you have removed the old fitting, the new VM connectors are push-fit so you just push the new cable onto the socket.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unscrew the cut off cable that is there (needs a small spanner, which you might find in your quick start kit). Then push the connector lead provided over the exposed thread.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ah perfect I thought that’s where it would go into so was worried, I’ll do this thank you!

You… are a hero x