cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with delayed broadband installation

paganister
Tuning in

Hi,

I just got an email stating there's a delay with my new home's broadband installation. Original date was 11th April. When I sign in, I now see two appointments:

20th April 8am-6pm

27th April 1pm-6pm

Can I please have details as to why there are two appointments now - and what they involve? Is the first one going to provide usable internet? I need to work from home from 20th April, so having no internet is very inconvenient if the 27th's is the usable date.

If it is the 27th, is there some kind of mobile internet dongle or similar you can provide in the mean time please?

Many thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

In theory, the first date will be for a new cable to be run from the road to your house, by a contractor. The second date will be for the Internal equipment to be installed and switched on by Virgin staff.

In practice, the first date is only an estimate, and the second date left hanging.

There is a slim possibility that you may get a 4G dongle, but don't rely on it.

Welcome to Virgin Media! 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Splext
Tuning in

Very similar to me. Was meant to be installed on 6th. Now 2 dates, 20th and 26th. Calling customer support proves fruitless. Apparently there's some random date in the middle of the 22 day period with no Internet, that they will lay the cables. But apparently there's no guarantee that this will actually happen. I think these 2 dates are just plucked out of the air to give them time to try and figure something out. 

Reports on here state that in majority of cases these dates don't actually result in a broadband connection. I'm with virgin mobile so I managed to get unlimited data on my phone contract for 7 days at a time, but that wasn't offered. And almost not accepted. 

I would try and get a dongle. That's what I should have done initially. Let me know if you get any joy

Thanks for the info. I've always found posting on these forums much more useful and less stressful than a phone call, even if it does take a few days for someone official to reply on here. 

I will keep you updated. 

Hey @paganister,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
As @jpeg1 advised that the first date would be for the cable to be pulled to your home and the second would be the installation of your services.

We wouldn't be able to arrange a dongle from this team, have you tried to speak to our pre-install team on 08000521734, they would be able to look further into this for you but I dont think that its likely that you would be provided with a dongle.

Regards,

Steven_L 

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. For the time being I'm going to tether off another SIM.

What I'd like to know, is the appointment on 20th, will I need to be at my property in case they need access to it for wiring? 

Thanks.

Hi paganister, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

If the work needed is outside then you don't need to be at the property but if you have the time to be able to be then this may help if the team have any questions or need to confirm anything with you. 

The only appointment you'll need to ensure someone over the age of 18 is home will be the installation itself. 

Let us know if you have any further queries. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@paganister wrote:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. For the time being I'm going to tether off another SIM.

What I'd like to know, is the appointment on 20th, will I need to be at my property in case they need access to it for wiring? 

Thanks.

always a good idea to be there if they are pulling the cable - they will [usually] take the easiest route from the street to the front of your property and theres a good few interesting examples of how they have done that - from many yards of cable spiralled over the lawn to the new standard - a suspended cable from a garage roof to the property - handy for a washing line if you dont have one

Tony.
Sacked VIP