Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Help with My IP

I have been having an issue port forwarding with my 3.0 virgin media Hub, when i try to create a new rule i just get a preset local IP that i cannot change except the last number can anyone tell me how to change this so i can edit the whole IP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help with My IP

Why would you want to change the first two sections when the device you will be port forwarding to should always be 192.168.x.x?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you can't you can only port forward to devices on the local subnet, Why would you want to change the whole ip

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok so what i am trying to do is portfoward a game but the server has an IP that I cannot portfoward because i cannot type it into the local IP and i can't find any other way
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

your game server would have to be on your local subnet if its not you can;t access it.

I dont't think you are understanding how port forwarding forks or what you are trying to so.

Are you hosting the server on your home network

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The whole concept of port forwarding is you connect to your router's public IP address and it then forwards any requests on specifc ports to the local IP address on your network, in this case the static 192.168.x.x address you've defined in the port forwarding rules.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

sorry im kinda stupid and yes i am hosting it on my home network

I have been following a guide on portfoward.com and what it is telling me to do is completely impossible rn
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need to assign the server a static IP (192.168.x.x) on the router.

You then need to setup port forwarding rules to the static 192.168.x.x. address assigned to your server.

You then need to use your Routers' Public IP address to connect to your server when you are outside of your home network. When you are at home you would continue to use the static 192.168.x.x address.

0 Kudos