cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to virgin boxes in house one upstairs one downstairs. Trying to get TV downstairs please advise

stewartg94
Joining in

Hello,

I have bought. new house last week and just got virgin fibre and tv package. The house has 2 virgin boxes. One downstairs which appears to have cables going from it on the outside of the house going to an upstairas room connected to another box.

I have used the quick start kit and got the internet working and the tv however its far from the ideal location however the box downstairs is in a good spot.

I have tried using the downstairs box but it appears to be of an older type. Is it possible to use this one? Please see picture attached. I have tried to call virgin but keep getting pointed to the app.

OutsideOutsideUpstairs - newer boxUpstairs - newer boxLounge - old boxLounge - old box

Thankyou

Stew

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The downstairs box is probably disconnected if the upstairs one is active.

It will be a fixed fee of £25 for a technician to visit and rewire your kit to your chosen location.  They will also check the power levels are correct and everything is working as it should be.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and arrange. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey stewartg94, thanks for joining our help forums and a warm welcome to the VM community.

We're glad to have you on board! 

Sorry to hear your newly fitted hub is not in your preferable spot in the house and your TV is not connecting well to the network where it sits.

We'd love to best help with this, however Adduxi above has beaten us to it and posted some useful information already.

We can advise that regarding a relocation of your hub, this can be arranged with an engineer visit however as not a fault-related appointment it comes with a cost of £25 on your next bill.

If you're happy for us to book you in for one, pop us a new message and let us know.

To add our insight to this and as an alternative resolution to your issue with the poor TV connection over Wi Fi, instead of relocating the hub we could look into adding our Wi Fi Max service as seen on this page.

By adding this on, we can provide up to 3 wireless pods for boosting your signal in the room where your TV and other devices that struggle to connect and guarantee better wireless coverage throughout the property and a minimum wireless speed.

Please, have a read and let us know of your thoughts and how you wish to proceed.

We're here to advise more, so feel free to ask if you have questions or concerns. 

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

afaik the advivce from both the VIP and staff above is rubbish - as a new customer - maybe theu missed that in the hurry to post - there should be no charge to re locate the boxes - its all part of the quickstart process

so hopefully staff can get back to this and book a tech rather than giving wrong advice or ring - you have 14 days to cancel so if you dont get a free tech offered remind them of that - the offshore people will do most things to keep you on board

@Adri_G wrote:

Hey stewartg94, thanks for joining our help forums and a warm welcome to the VM community.

We're glad to have you on board! 

Sorry to hear your newly fitted hub is not in your preferable spot in the house and your TV is not connecting well to the network where it sits.

We'd love to best help with this, however Adduxi above has beaten us to it and posted some useful information already.

We can advise that regarding a relocation of your hub, this can be arranged with an engineer visit however as not a fault-related appointment it comes with a cost of £25 on your next bill.

If you're happy for us to book you in for one, pop us a new message and let us know.

To add our insight to this and as an alternative resolution to your issue with the poor TV connection over Wi Fi, instead of relocating the hub we could look into adding our Wi Fi Max service as seen on this page.

By adding this on, we can provide up to 3 wireless pods for boosting your signal in the room where your TV and other devices that struggle to connect and guarantee better wireless coverage throughout the property and a minimum wireless speed.

Please, have a read and let us know of your thoughts and how you wish to proceed.

We're here to advise more, so feel free to ask if you have questions or concerns. 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Having got the boxes and cables sorted, if you find the WiFi coverage in the house is unsatisfactory do come back here for advice before signing up for the VM 'pods' which may not be the best solution. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The older box (TV side only) should work. Just disconnect the existing white cable & connect the one provided that would connect to the splitter in the kit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If the downstairs socket does not work it probably means that the cable going into it was cut and joined to the cable going upstairs. So, all VM has to do is send a tech round to replace the barrel connector with a splitter so that both sockets will work. There will be no charge for this.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey stewartg94,

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L